Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobbytheB
Paper Tape
Views: 992
Message 1 of 5

Solid State Hybrid Drive and Windows 10

Just a minor issue I've been dealing with for a while now...my Y50-70 laptop had 8gbs of Solid State  used soley for operating boot times and while running Windows 8 my boot time was 8-12 seconds and it was fantastic!  After updating to Windows 10 my boot time can be around 1-2 minutes, not a serious problem, but I'd sure love to have those speedy boot times back.  I'm assuming the windows 10 update defaulted the boot directory to some generic windows 10 file and no longer the Solid State.  Any way I can get my computer booting up off the Solid State again?  

stevepa
Token Ring
Views: 988
Message 2 of 5

Re: Solid State Hybrid Drive and Windows 10

I don't think it's the hybrid drive as the 8GB is like a "cache" and not usually dedicated to any specific purpose.

If it's taking that long to boot, what is displaying during that time?  Is it a black screen or the spinning Lenovo logo?  Black screen might suggest a driver is timing out or otherwise having an issue.

The event viewer might be a good start to see if some device or device driver is taking a long time to initialize since the upgrade.

Also, the Task Manager might help if you click on Advanced Options then look at the startup tab and see what has a high startup impact.  These are things you may wish to try to disable and see if the issue goes away.  Sometimes you need to uninstall/re-install certain programs and/or drivers once you upgrade.

Good luck!

BobbytheB
Paper Tape
Views: 984
Message 3 of 5

The boot process gets to the spinning Lenovo logo relatively quickly and from there it takes longer to boot up.  I looked at my task manager and the only high impact startup items are Google Chrome, One Drive, and Steam.  

stevepa
Token Ring
Views: 967
Message 4 of 5

Hmm.. so what appears after the spinning Lenovo logo?  Does it go to the logon-prompt (or desktop if you have no password) rather quickly then just takes forever to "work" once in windows, or is it sitting at the spinning logo and/or black screen before?

It could also be a temporary thing if you have just recently upgraded to Windows 10.  There is also a Malicious Software tool that downloads periodically and can take 1-2 minutes to boot while it scans for malware/malicious software as part of Windows 10... is it every boot so far or have you had a fast boot or two after your upgrade?

BobbytheB
Paper Tape
Views: 965
Message 5 of 5

After about a minute at the spinning logo it brings up the log in prompt and after logging in it takes about another minute before my machine is actually functional.  I have no other problems once it's booted, everything runs exceptionaly afterwards.  My login times have been consistantly 2 minutes and sometimes longer.  I've been on Windows 10 for a few months now.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors