cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwade
Punch Card
Views: 3,057
Message 21 of 85

Re: Solution for laptop cannot detect AC adapter after performing "Battery Gauge Reset"

I also performed this battery gauge reset and I have similar problem to this one. I will tell you things I have noticed. 

FIrst, laptop won`t boot on battery power but the laptop will restart on battery power. Meaning, once I inititially boot with AC, I can restart the computer purely on battery power. It however will not recover from sleep or hibernation at all. Second, everytime the computer shuts off, even on AC power it will not boot through the first time. On AC power it will try to boot and fail, the same way it does on battery, however after the first failed attempt it will then proceed to boot again on its own without pressing power and then be successful. WIth battery no matter how many times you try it will not boot up. To me it seems like battery guage reset program fried something in the motherboard. I do not want to waste money on a new battery when it seems like the battery works perfectly. Even on AC power it fails to boot the first time so that shows me that the motherboard is struggling to boot. Maybe a fried charging controller here too or something else. Laptop is Ideapad y580. 

Jansilp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,043
Message 22 of 85

Re: Solution for laptop cannot detect AC adapter after performing "Battery Gauge Reset"

Absolutely agrre with you. This is design issue with hardware and software related, and Lenovo must do something to prevent user from this issue and take responsibility for any issues that caused by mistaken design.
Jansilp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,043
Message 23 of 85

Hi mwade,

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Anyway, it seems that your motherboard was killed the battery guage reset similar with us but with another symptom. If your machine is in warranty, then you should send it for repair.

BTW, can you boot from AC without battery attached?
pipokito
Punch Card
Views: 3,033
Message 24 of 85

I called Lenovo US support today for about an hour.

They did not acknowledge their fault even if it is so obvious and therefore refused to exchange or fix my computer for free as it is not anymore covered by the 1 year warrantee.

I'm not the kind of customer that bothers for no reason, but in this case I feel fooled by LENOVO 

Bests,

Andrea

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. No campaigning.

mwade
Punch Card
Views: 3,023
Message 25 of 85

My warranty expired. Yes, I can boot with AC ( baterry attached or not attached ) in certain way, meaning when I press the power button it will fail to boot but after the first failed attempt it will then proceed to boot again on its own without pressing power button and then be successful. I can`t boot it using only battery (without AC).

pipokito
Punch Card
Views: 3,018
Message 26 of 85

Mwade,

Same as all of us.

I have tried to call Lenovo support they won’t hear anything.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules.

ibrahimlmn1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,996
Message 27 of 85

hello

pipokito

i`v don the smae thing i sended emails try to conatct with no respond .

i am with you , anything i can do , anything you need , any help plese send in this email : xxxxx

we have to win this <

best reagrds

Moderator comment: Email address(es) removed to defeat spambots.

rossposs
Paper Tape
Views: 2,951
Message 28 of 85

hi janslip,

My lenovo y570 reciently crashed and wont charge. While the batter had charge the computer recognised that it was pluged in, however did not draw any power and constantly discharged the battery.

I read your description on how to fix it and it all seems straight forward but i am not sure what replacement part will be suitable.

I have attached a photo of the part, the central one is broken and i have confirmed with a multimeter that it is indeed broken.

y570 mofset

I found the data sheet also.

http://aosmd.com/pdfs/datasheet/AO4409.pdf

However im not sure how to get a replacement. What is the important information that i need to match with a new part?

Thankyou for the guide also!

Jansilp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,921
Message 29 of 85

Hi rossposs,

Here below are the important rating for MOSFET,
1. Ids max --> should be equal or higher
2. Vds max --> should be equal or higher
3. Vgs max --> should be equal or higher
4. Rds on --> should be equal or lower, sometimes a little bit higher is should be fine.
Jansilp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,919
Message 30 of 85

Hi Mwade,

Got it! Actually, in my case I can boot form AC alone and battery alone, but cannot when AC + battery attached. Anyway, it may be on your battery side or motherboard side. Have you tried to replace your battery? if so and issue still persists, then you have to investigate your mother board.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors