cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Willowed
Paper Tape
Views: 2,102
Message 51 of 85

Re: Solution for laptop cannot detect AC adapter after performing "Battery Gauge Reset"

Hello to everyone,

Guess what? i ve got a battery problem on a y510p too !! grrr

Thank you for the post you've made about this problem and everyone that have contribute.

I would really appreciate if you guys could give me some advices.

So like you've said i have disassemble the computer, and i've look over the mosfet.

As far as i was able to look over my motherboard there were only 2 mosfet.

The question i ask myself is how many mosfet is there on my y510p?

The 2 mosfets have the same reference, so it's possible to change them both right?

The Mosfet that's on my y510p ref are : 4483A .W35C

Because i thought about removing them all and buy new ones to replace them, what do you think?

And if you could tell me what mosfets i could use ? i would like to know a good one so i can save my computers more years of use.

Thanks for the care,

Regards

mbmatheus
Paper Tape
Views: 2,096
Message 52 of 85

Re: Solution for laptop cannot detect AC adapter after performing "Battery Gauge Reset"

Hello Willowed,

It happened with my y510p and I followed the steps described in this topic to replace. The defective mosfet is under the processor heatsink, so you'll have to remove it to see. I checked which mosfet was defective with the multimeter and replaced it with the AO4423. I believe that just one MOSFET will be burned, so you need to test it, there's no need to replace the good ones. As you'll have to remove your heatsink, you need to change the thermal grease or probably your processor/vga will get hotter than usual.

Wish you luck!

Willowed
Paper Tape
Views: 2,077
Message 53 of 85

Thanks for the quick reply,

The cost of a new mosfet is not expensive ( around 4 $ ) , and since the mosfet on the motherboard are faulty, i thought the best thing to do was to just remove them all and replace them.

I don't wanna take care of this kind of troubles again in a few months or years.

Also i dont have the tools to check either one or an other is broken, and i m not a technician for this kind of work.

The best idea i came up with was to remove them all, that's why i m looking for a good quality mosfet.

Djovanny
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,070
Message 54 of 85

Hello All,

I have serious problem reggarding this Battery Gauge Reset. I started it on my Y580 and went to work. When I came back the laptop was turned off and I could not start it. There were no indicators that the power addapter was pluged in. When i press the power button the red light in front just blinks 3 times and that's it. I cannot start it and it is not showing that the battery is charging. It's like the laptop does not detect the AC addapter nor the battery. 

The laptop is out of warrity!

Please help!

Thanks in advance and Best Regards,

Petar Zanev.

dave1996
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,999
Message 55 of 85

Please read the other posts above
Wojtek84
What's DOS?
Views: 1,886
Message 56 of 85

Jansilp - you, my man, should be given a medal! Thanks to you, I saved some serious cash and a lot of frustration, which replacing the entire motherboard would have cost me. Instead, I got the MOSFET replaced for a total of...8 USD, soldering included!!!

I cannot thank you more, as well as I simply cannot believe Lenovo has not addressed this issue yet! It is outrageous that such a flaw be left ignored, while it has affected so many users over the years. Shame on you, Lenovo, nothing more, nothing less... 

luc23
What's DOS?
Views: 1,767
Message 57 of 85

I also have had this issue occur after trying to calibrate my battery. My laptop was only 2 years old when it occured. Thank you for providing the solution, however I have no experience with logic boards. Thankfully there is that workaround of removing the battery etc. 

I would like to offer some facts about this problem and my experience with Lenovo customer service, which has been terrible:

FACTS:

1) The software function (calibrate battery) that causes this Mosfet damage is part of Lenovo pre-installed power management.

2) This software function is not typically used until the battery has been cycled enough to go out of calibration. For most users, including myself, the battery would not need calibration within the 1 year warranty period.

3) Considering points 1 and 2, Lenovo should certainly be repairing these Mosfets for us outside of warranty.

4) My experience involved dozens of emails and phone calls with Lenovo, culminating in a Better Business Bureau complaint. 

5) Lenovo's position is that all repairs outside of warranty, including this rectification of this defect which is entirely the fault of Lenovo, shall be entirely at the consumers expense, including shipping costs.

6) The Better Business Bureau has no authority, and could not compel Lenovo to make an exception and conduct the repair. The BBB flagged my complained as "solved" despite my argument that it was certainly not solved. I have since learned that the BBB is a bit of a scam.

7) Compared to the other recent cases of Lenovo mistreating consumers, it seems to me that this defect with Y500, Y510, Y580, and perhaps others

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules.

All this, and Lenovo hasn't responded in any way. No software fix. No warning to owners of these laptops. Which means more people are going to burn out their Mosfet chips as their batteries age and people go ahead and attempt to calibrate them. 

When I first bought the Y500, it was because I read that Lenovo had a solid reputation. However this Mosfet problem while the most severe, is not the first problem I have with the Y500. The other issues were CPU Fan noise, LCD Flickering, "Ultrabay" false advertising, and I think one other thing thats not coming to mind at the moment.

All in all, it turns out that Lenovo Ideapad from Mfg. ~2012-2013 is a cheaply made defective piece of junk. My friends have a Thinkpad from 10 years ago that still work great. I wonder what changed? 

Next laptop I get the number one priority is customer service, which I think will have to be Microsoft? Dell?

Luc.

Moderator comment: Email address(es) removed to defeat spambots.

mitchag
Paper Tape
Views: 1,733
Message 58 of 85

Is there anyone out there in the US who would be willing to try to repair my Y580 with this mosfet fix?  I have the mosfet, but its too small for my hands to do.   I can ship my machine to you, and provide a return UPS label.  Please let me know.  I would obviously remove the HDDs. 

Thanks.

Timbogreen
Paper Tape
Views: 1,683
Message 59 of 85

Thank you so much =) 

My Y580 is repair Thank´s Thank´s Thank´s =)=)=)

greets from Germany.

castara
Paper Tape
Views: 1,554
Message 60 of 85

Dear Jansilp,

Hello, I'm new to the forum & wondered if you can advise me.

I have a lenovo G770 wiyh a simailar problem,Black screen suddenly

when I tried to power on one day several months ago. I've

checked the usual things, like ensuring the Ram is seated, holding

down the power button for 30 secs etc but nothing worked.apart

from the Led lights when I power on

I sent it to Lenovo for diagnosis & they have reported the Motherboard has

failed & quoted asmuch as the Laptop cost originally to replace the

motherboard  Haha!!!

I'm in the process of disputing this at the moment under the Sale of Goods Act,

which is an added protection we in UK have when the warrenty ends.

However, I'm wondering if your recommendation may also solve my problem.

I would be much oblifged if you can let me know if you think the Mosfet solution

may help in my case ?

Regards !

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors