cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YY5070
Paper Tape
Views: 605
Message 71 of 85

Re: Solution for laptop cannot detect AC adapter after performing "Battery Gauge Reset"

I tested my laptop with my friends ac adapter, he has the same exact model laptop y50-70, it charged my laptop for a  second and it stoped.

In the picture I uploaded shows the charging port and other internal components 

Im doubting it might be my charging port causing this.im taking it to a local technical and will post a update20181022_235941.jpg

•  
teslafly
Paper Tape
Views: 595
Message 72 of 85

Re: Solution for laptop cannot detect AC adapter after performing "Battery Gauge Reset"

Looks like the port has a cable that goes to the (lower right hand in the picture) corner of the motherboard. The 5 pin connector by m2x3 marking, that looks a little burnt. Can you check that and get a better picture of that area? Looks like the fets are in that area too. References pq301 and pq302?

Unplug the battery from the motherboard and measure from the middle 2 pins on each side on diode test mode using a multimeter. One way should be open (ol), the other should be the fet body diode (~0.5v). If one/they measure short (0.00v) , there's your problem.

Also check the fuse, pf101, if that's open you need to replace That too

YY5070
Paper Tape
Views: 584
Message 73 of 85

I greatly appreciate your help thats a amazing catch I dont have a multimeter but I will buy one and check it out20181023_003440.jpg

20181023_003357.jpg

AbuHuzaifah
Paper Tape
Views: 576
Message 74 of 85

I changed my battery of Y510p and after that everything is working fine now. 

Jansilp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 564
Message 75 of 85

Please check also PQ301 and PQ302 ot see if the Drain and Source are short or not? 

YY5070
Paper Tape
Views: 557
Message 76 of 85

teslafly and jansilp thank you for taking your time to help I will do it tomorrow once I get off work, I need to purch6the multimeter.

Got a question what are the purpose of p0301 and p302. Thanks20181023_013958.jpg

20181023_013947.jpg

20181023_013932.jpg

Jansilp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 525
Message 77 of 85

Hello YY5070,

They are MOSFET and used as switches in the charging circuitry and here will be a charging IC, i.e., bqxxxx from TI, nearby those MOSFETs.

Leno_L
Fanfold Paper
Views: 493
Message 78 of 85

Hello Tesafly and Janslip:

GreatJob you both - seems to have helped many people out there.

I have the same problem - with Y510P.

Hoping you still check the forum, I have the following questions:

After you replaced the MOSFET, how is that the same problem not happen again in your case?

In this forum:  Willowed (03-15-2016) states that some software (firmware?) related to battery charging needs to be disabled.

Did you do any of that?

Also you did you use a normal soldering rod? - no fancy hot-air soldering device or something?

I hope they still make the discrete MOSFET, I have not checked yet.

Thanks very much.

Jansilp
Blue Screen Again
Views: 466
Message 79 of 85

Hi Leno_L,

For me, after replace the MOSFETs, I have never faced this issue anymore since I have never touched the battery gauge reset feature again as it may kill again the MOSFET.

For the soldering, if the MOSFET doesn't have the thermal pad underneath the chip, we can use the simple soldering iron without needed the hot air one.

Cheers!

rmrfslash
What's DOS?
Views: 105
Message 80 of 85

Just wanted to thank the Lenovo forum and thread contributors, especially Jansilp and tesafly. This worked on my Y510p.

Interestingly enough, I ran the battery calibration software several years ago without bricking the laptop. However, the charging was affected. If the laptop were low on battery, sometimes connecting the AC adapter would cause it to immediately turn off, as if I had pulled out the battery. This was bearable so I left it.

One day, without warning, the computer stopped receiving power from the AC adapter entirely. Jansilp's method of power cycling and reconnecting did not work. The P302 transistor was indeed shorted. The computer has been running reliably (no low-battery-charger-connection-shutoff either) for a month. Thanks again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors