Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zaralyth
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,094
Message 1 of 8

Static-like sound coming from audio jack when headphones plugged in

Hi, I'm not sure how to properly describe this, but I've only ever had this problem with Lenovo Laptops.

Consider the following,

You plug in your headphones to an iPod or your phone, or a Desktop computer, and by default, you hear nothing. Just silence, like in real life, until you turn the volume up to maximum and you start to hear that weird sort of low staticy sound that sounds like a blank recording.

The problem I am having is as follows.

When I plug my headphones into my Lenovo Laptop, no matter the volume, that sounds always persists. If I have my volume set to 0, the sound goes away, but as soon as I set it to 1, the sound comes back. It doesn't go up or down depending on the decibel level, just stays the same. It aggravates me because I don't have this problem with any other audio device in my home. Only the laptop. I have created an example of what it sounds like. listen with headphones and turn the volume up so you can hear it. https://app.box.com/s/kdlpgpt08v5yfklk96z8

Anyone know any reasong why my audio jack sounds like this? There must be a solution if that sound isn't audible on any other of my devices. Help?

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."
kingofweb892
Punch Card
Views: 2,054
Message 2 of 8

Re: Static-like sound coming from audio jack when headphones plugged in

I have this problem too on my Lenovo Z500, it sounds exactly like yours.

I've looked all around and couldn't find an answer. I even bought new speakers on ebay and replaced them myself and still heard the sound.

Zaralyth
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,034
Message 3 of 8

A long time ago I read that the sound was caused by the audio jack being too close to the CPU/motherboard, or it could be picking up interference from another source in the laptop itself. I have not tried uninstalling any of my audio drivers yet, as I am weary if it will only cause more problems..

I picked up a cheap USB external sound card today, and as I expected, there was no audible muffled static sound. So I suppose for now, the solution will be buying an expensive high quality external sound card such as the ASUS Xonar U7. I know that probably 99% of people would be okay with the almost inaudible sound, but being an audiophile and noticing every little slightest imperfection in audio, I just can't live with it. Smiley Sad
"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."
kingofweb892
Punch Card
Views: 2,026
Message 4 of 8

I'm using a usb card too, it sucks because I like the sound the dolby adds.

I don't want to pay a fortune to send it in to lenovo to fix it, especially when I no longer have warranty and it has been like this since I got it.

Zaralyth
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,023
Message 5 of 8

Mine is a Y50 and is brand new, and I doubt it is an actual problem, and rather poor placement of internal components. So it's not really something that can be helped..

kingofweb892
Punch Card
Views: 2,014
Message 6 of 8

I have a Z500, ever since I got it over a year and a half ago, it has always been this way. I wonder if its a common issue with these models because I haven't found many complaints  about it

kingofweb892
Punch Card
Views: 1,977
Message 7 of 8

I think I got my fix for my lenovo z500

I noticed that the hdd sits on top of the ribbon cable that connects the headphone jack to the motherboard. This hdd was also near to the speakers.

So I bought an optical drive hard drive case

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-2nd-HDD-HD-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Case-for-12-7mm-Laptop-CD-DVD-ROM-Optical-B...

(I should have bought the slim version. It is recommended to buy the slim version to fit the case)

So i put my hard drive in this and it boots perfectly.

I also download an old realtek hd audio driver with Dolby Home Theater v4 instead of Dolby digital plus.

Also in the speaker properties under the advanced tab I set the sample rate to 24bit 192000Hz

I can no longer hear the static.

phhowe17
Paper Tape
Views: 171
Message 8 of 8

ON my Y50, the hard drive is next to the audio jact and the noise happens when the hard drive is active.

Top Kudoed Authors