cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Views: 77,396

Question

I just bought a Lenovo laptop with NVIDIA GPU and the first thing i noticed when i was looking at the dxdiag info that it currently shows that the Intel HD graphics is running currently. This article helps us to determine the following cases 

1. How to verify whether the Nvidia GPU is showing on the Device Manager.

2. How to verify if the NVIDIA GPU is running when playing a game or run graphic intensive task instead of Intel iGPU?

3. How to switch to NVIDIA GPU manually?

Answer

1. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Under display adapter > you should see Intel HD Graphics and NVIDIA.
GPU1.png

2.  Go to NVIDIA Control Panel > Desktop > Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area. You will see a black chip picture in the taskbar. If the chip turns rainbow, which means your NVIDIA GPU is running.

3. Go to NVIDIA Control Panel to switch between two graphics manually under Manage 3D Settings > Preferred Graphics Processor.
GPU3.png

This should allow users to run the system on the Nvidia GPU whenever required.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
roperp

Thanks for this information; it confirms and clarifies a lot of questions I was having after exploring my new Y50 system which just arrived. I've never seen a multi-GPU computer before...

Possibly this is related, but I'm noticing that a few applications I'm running seem to be running not in their native resolution, or for some reason, are heavily anti-aliased, so that everything looks awfully fuzzy/furry for such a high end graphics machine.

For example, the Device Manager, occasional installation prompts, and Steam all seem to be this way. Any tips?

cici2

For roperp 

I faced same issue on Z50-70. Maybe the