cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiggerer
Punch Card
Views: 1,362
Message 1 of 6

The Y510 Didn't Pass The Bounce Test....but how many do?

Hello everyone,

This is a further posting now that I have the machine in front of me, my Daughter pulled her laptop off of her desk and although it landed on plush carpet it looks like it lost the Boot Sector again. This happened for no reason three months after purchasing it for no other reason then just turning it on. This time because my Daughter was away at University and is now home with the Y510 I have been able to get this far. When I turn it on the following comes up

"Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix this problem

1/ Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer

2/ Choose your language settings and then click "Next"

3/ Click "Repair your Computer"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

FILE:\BOOT\BCD

INFO: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

When I put the recovery disc in and change the boot sequence which can only be done using the F12 key I get an error code: 0x80070017

Because my Daughter like so many others out there failed to read about Vista through all the Bells and Whistles she missed the bottom paragraph that tells new user's that the industry has now changed across the board meaning that they do not ship O/S CD's anymore and you have to make your own! So she of course failed to make up her disc's and because she resides at school and home she had no idea where her recovery disc's were and not knowing Vista I made the mistake of going to the Lenovo site first instead of the Microsoft site. Had I gone to Windows first I would have found out that I could make my own ISO disc's for free and it would have saved me $59.00USD!

Instead I called Lenovo support and ended up speaking to the Philippines with an individual that had a hard time speaking English and when it came time to discuss options he didn't have a clue about Vista other then to press the Novo button, so I asked him if he realized that if I did this it would delete my personal files? He then told me that I needed to order the Vista O/S recovery disc's and told me how much it would cost me which sounded reasonable considering I had already paid for my license for Vista, only to have this guy send them some where else because he didn't understand what our postal code was and when I told him it was the equivalent to the US's Zip Code which he didn't know what that was either(Don't they have postal or Zip codes in the Philippines?)

Anyway bottom line it took ten days to get these disc's only to find out that it wasn't a copy of Vista but just the recovery disc's and drivers, and facial recognition software where the recovery does not replace things like corrupted Boot files and only repairs things and that's only if you have not reconfigured Lenovo's precious drive partitions that are ridiculous sizes to begin with! In my case when it lost the boot sector the last time the Lenovo Tech resized her drives and thus eliminated the Novo button that would have gotten me into oh maybe a Safe Mode or anywhere useful so that I could rescue her files. Instead I am dead in the water without a copy of an actual Vista DVD, even though I know it is the Boot Sector that has gone for a walk again. I have been able to look at the hard drive and I can see all of her files and pictures, and all of her exam information etc. but I have no way of getting at it without the copy of the O/S. So if anyone has any bright idea's that I haven't thought of please let me know, I would appreciate it so much as it is so frustrating to be so close yet so far just because someone had an idea that goes like this,- if we make it so that the hard drive is partitioned with two types of drives, and put the recovery software on an invisible partition we can confuse most of the people most of the time and they will go out and buy an external drive in order to have more space. And lets take it one step further by disabling access to that hidden partition by making that cute little Novo Button disabled once you mess with the drive config!!! Give me a desk top anyday! Please any thoughts regarding these error codes and what they mean would be greatly appreciated. By the way I have asked for my money back for taking almost two weeks to get what I was supposed to get and then end up with something that is useless to me. Thanks so much for everyone's help, its nice to know that there are compassionate ears out there waiting to help the helpless.

Sincerely,

Tiggerer

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,316
Message 2 of 6

Re: The Y510 Didn't Pass The Bounce Test....but how many do?

select repair computer to fix system boot issue.

of just press f8 for safe mode, and restore the system a couple of days back.

this will help to save your personal files. after that, i recommend to make a clean installation.

that happened to me a couple of weeks ago, system repair may work but it doesn't last long.

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
tiggerer
Punch Card
Views: 1,303
Message 3 of 6

Re: The Y510 Didn't Pass The Bounce Test...But how many do?

Howdy Yigit,

Thanks for your time, but I think you missed the part about the boot sector is corrupted or gone but either way the best I can do with this Y510 right now is view whats on the drives but am unable to get into Safe Mode which  gets rid of the idea of restoring to a previous day.I am dead in the water without a Vista Install disc as my Daughter did not make her own recovery disc's when she got the laptop. It doesn't leave a lot of options! Since the error code came back as File: Boot\BCD Skripatch gave me a very interesting link to http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/bootsectexe  it modifies the boot sector not the MBR and its a free download and works great if you can get to a command prompt. This is worth a read for all of us that have lost boot sectors and here's why!

By my understanding from our friend and college Skripatch is if I press shift + F10 this should get me into the recovery console partition and I should be able to use those oh so expensive recovery disc's that took two weeks to get here! Skripatch came up with a much simpler idea that I am surprised that no one else has thought of and that is to take the hard drive out of the Y510 and use a Sata to USB cable and plug it into any other computer and use it like an external drive and that way my Daughter will be able to copy her files and picture's etc. off of this drive and then do a clean install. Sounds so simple, then why didn't I think of it??? If its going to cost me $80. to re-load Vista I may as well spend $120. and load Windows 7 that way at least she will have an actual Install disc this time!.This is why collective reasoning always works the best for everything in life folks! Thanks again for your time and I will post further progress as it goes. Take care.

Tiggerer

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,280
Message 4 of 6

it seems i missed some parts, sorry

skripatch came up with a much simpler idea that I am surprised that no one else has thought of and that is to take the hard drive out of the y510 and use a sata to usb cable and plug it into any other computer and use it like an external drive and that way my daughter will be able to copy her files and picture's etc.

i was gonna offer this but he did it before me.

Smiley Happy

tiggerer
Punch Card
Views: 1,274
Message 5 of 6

Howdy Yigit (is there a meaning for this name as I haven't heard it before?)

I do appreciate all the help from any and all that have offerings, but sometimes even the best Guru's like us lose track of what the Number one reason is why we are here and that is to recover files first then fix what ever the problem is. Did you go to the neosmart site and read that crap about the beta process that Microsoft used when testing and marketing their O/S's and its just not Vista I'm sure it happens across the board. No one does bench testing for any length of time anymore and why should they when they have the entire world to do it for them and with the Technology that we now have almost anything can be fixed on-line with a few lines of script and your out of there! I have been busy this afternoon checking out this way cool idea of Sergej's and set it up on one of my desk tops and I'll be dammed if it doesn't do exactly as it should! I must say that I feel a little foolish that the answer was right in front of all of us and no one came up with this idea, so of course I had to do a post on Answers on the Microsoft site and tell them all the same thing to which I am sure they are all just shaking their collective heads and thinking the same thing as I am.

I have also decide to be done with Vista like everyone else and its going to cost me $80. to re-install Vista and I can buy an Install Disc with Windows 7 for $120. so it to is a no brainier that "I will be movin on up". There is one thing good about a fatal crash where if your lucky you get to decide which files you want to keep, its sort of like spring cleaning. So the good old "Eight Ball" ( do you have those where you are, its like a baseball sized eight ball that has a screen and when you ask it a question and shake it, it comes up with an answer,LOL isn't that where you get all your answers to life from? Oh the silliness of it all!) Thanks again for your good times and we will talk again soon and remember if there is ever anything I can do for you from this side of the planet just ask.

Marcus

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,245
Message 6 of 6

hey.

it means "brave, hero, daredevil", and it's turkish name.

it seems it is the right decision to buy windows 7.

if you count xp as a first operation system, 2nd, 4th, 6th operation system sucked, and will suck!

there used to windows nt operation system, it sucked too, and so the vista. and i'm sure if microsoft release a new operation system it will suck, too. think about these beta versions, a newer feature comes with them, but not working as well. this is my opinion, so some of you may not agree with it.

still do not trust digital craps, and make backups.

( we don't have "eight ball" but there was a movie about it - can't remember the name but kinda old movie - so, i know what you meant.)

say yes to all like jim carrey did Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors