Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
striker4o
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 16,052
Message 1 of 22

Thermal management on IdeaPad Y580

Greetings!

While I do understand that on Y580 there is no hardware button available for the thermal management software, I do not understand why this software is not included in the drivers. To use it, should I install the energy management drivers for another Y model? Is that recommended at all, or are there risks? Please advise on how I can enable thermal management safely for my IdeaPad Y580.

If that cannot be done, please give instructions on setting up SpeedFan or some other fan control software. Thank you.

Best regards,

S

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 16,035
Message 2 of 22

Re: Thermal management on IdeaPad Y580

Yes you need to install energy management for controling fan speed.Dowoad from below
http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/cagt24ww.exe
There are no risks.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Highlighted
striker4o
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 16,034
Message 3 of 22

Thanks for your prompt reply. If I understand correctly, I need to uninstall my later version of the Energy Management software and install the one you supplied? Please confirm, so I can go on witht the installation. Thank you.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 16,023
Message 4 of 22

If you have the latest version installed and you are able to control fan speed through then no need. If you arent able to do so, install the one from my link
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
striker4o
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 16,011
Message 5 of 22

I am not able to use Thermal Management via either version of Energy Management. In addition to installing Energy Management, should I install some other software as well? Just to describe the situation better:

I am using IdeaPad Y580. I had the latest Energy Management installed, but I did not have Thermal Management available in the Energy Management. I uninstalled my version and installed the one you supplied. However, Thermal Management is still not available in the Energy Management interface. Is there another way to enable the Thermal Management interface? Do I have to run some other application? Please advise.

Thank you.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 16,004
Message 6 of 22

Is the dedusting mode also not available?
striker4o
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 16,001
Message 7 of 22

There is a "dedusting" mode, but it is named "Fan dust extraction". To my best knowledge, the IdeaPad model (Y580) does not come with Thermal Management software by default (because there is no hardware key on the laptop body, I guess). Is Thermal Management not supported on this particular model (Y580)? Can I try installing the Energy Management software for IdeaPad Z580 (cagt25ww.exe) in order to have Thermal Management available?

Thanks.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,988
Message 8 of 22

Ok yup y580 does not have the option for controling the fan speed. You could try to install the one for z580. I hope you the cooling scheme has been set to active in advanced power options.
striker4o
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 15,984
Message 9 of 22

Okay, I installed Z580 energy management software, but that did not help. 

I do not have such an interface:

http://support.lenovo.com/ContentResources/Migrated%20Assets/consumer_images/userfiles/image/3_EN-Th...

This is what my energy management looks like:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/12855iA357BAB80A91CE10/image-size/large?v=mpbl...

The system settings button (the one on the left) has only two options:

1) Smart power-saving hard disk

2) Fan dust extraction

I browsed through many forums, reviews, and images, and I see that there are many other options available that I cannot see at all. Which drivers/software should I install in order to use the Thermal Management System?

Since fan dust extraction works just fine, that means my hardware can take orders from the software. I need my fans to run faster (be more noisy) but be more efficient (keep the system cooler). Please advise. Thank you.

On a side note: my advanced power settings for processor power management -> system cooling policy  is set to Active.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,947
Message 10 of 22

The point is that the laptops which does not have a hardware button for controlling fan speed does not support thermal management. You could have a look below. It might help you
m.lifehacker.com/5866009/control-your-computers-fan-speeds-for-better-performance-when-you-need-it-silence-when-you-dont

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors