Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
striker4o
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,159
Message 11 of 22

Re: Thermal management on IdeaPad Y580

That does not make any sense, really. The hardware of y580 obviously allows software control of fan speed (dust extraction works). Why would thermal management not be available? It is apparently disabled somehow. Please provide me with a work around for enabling thermal management system on my energy management software. My best guess is that the thermal management system is just disabled in the software but is available for use.

Thanks.

On a side note: I tried using SpeedFan but was not able to configure it at all. My BIOS (2.0.5) also does not allow me to manually adjust the fan speed. If thermal management cannot be used at all(although I highly doubt that), can I do something about my BIOS and use it to control fan speed?

striker4o
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,148
Message 12 of 22

Are you aware of registry settings or something which would allow me to install and use thermal management? Perhaps I can add something to the registry in order to enable the software?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Lenovo -> Energy Management?

If you are not aware of such a setting, please forward my question to a supervisory technical who may be able to assist. If possible, post a suggestion to the developers of the drivers who would be able to implement thermal management into energy management for y580. Thanks!

Sp0rk1859
Punch Card
Views: 7,144
Message 13 of 22

I also have this question but i have a y570. Which DOES have a hardware button for fan thermal management. I tried the link you provided ishaan, but it still does not let me control the fan at all in windows 8.

nofan.JPG

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 7,113
Message 14 of 22

@striker40
I am researching for your query. Will reply as soon as i would find something useful. Did you check out the link?
@sp0rk1859
You nees to patch the software. Refer to this link for patch
http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-8/Z570-Lenovo-Energy-Management-for-Windows-8/td-p/856023
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
ewolwer
What's DOS?
Views: 7,037
Message 15 of 22

So, is there a solution for Fan speed controlfor Lenovo Y580 ?

striker4o
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 6,941
Message 16 of 22

Bump!
jambamslam
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,124
Message 17 of 22

bump

Geertje123
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,612
Message 18 of 22

bump

TheShotte
Paper Tape
Views: 4,651
Message 19 of 22

Okay guys, I just installed SpeedFan trying to see if I can find the CPU fan speed anywhere. SpeedFan tells me the temperature of dedicated GPU (compared it to eVGA Precision X Software), I have the following sensors:

GPU

HD0

Temp1

Core 0, Core 1, Core 2, Core 3

Besides that it's showing the Frequency, Battery, Uptime and then HD and CPU usage. So I got all that, and all I wanted was the CPU Fan Speed which doesn't seem to be available.

Going back to this thread - I think you guys are all confused. The Lenovo Energy Management software does not have Thermal Management per se, it's called Energy Management. Thermal Management is handled by the actual CPU.

My Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 has an Intel Core i7 3630QM CPU. This particular CPU operates to a maximum temperaturee of 105° C. The standard clock speed is 2.4 Ghz per core, with TurbBoost up to 3.4 Ghz. The closer the actual CPU temperature is to 105°, the less TurbBoost you will have, also, if it's higher than a certain threshold, the CPU might enter Energy Saver mode. The hotter the CPU, the slower the clock speeds.

Now onto the Lenovo Energy Management Software, there are 4 performance profiles (which you can also think of as thermal management profiles). They have direct control over the CPU's minimum and maximum clocks, and naturally, the slower the clock, the less heat the CPU will generate. 

Although I just tried setting the different profiles, and now I'm not sure it has direct control over CPU clocks, as the clock frequency did not change in Speedfan when I made changes. I will do some testing and let you guys know.

modrob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,571
Message 20 of 22

Is there a solution yet ? This issue drives me insane Smiley Indifferent

I noticed that you can´t even change the fan speed in bios ,there is no such option ( installed the latest update of bios 5dcn40ww).

In another Forum i found the idea of using a software which controlls the fan speed (e.g. Notebook Fan Control http://sdrv.ms/P6RKKe) but therefore you need to know in which embedded controler register the fan exactly is.

Anyone got a clue ?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors