Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
subzero206
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,967
Message 1 of 4

Touch Inductive Buttons Don't Adjust EQ in XP - Y510

Hi,

So I successfully installed XP SP3 onto my C: partition (Y510) and everything works except for one thing:  The touch inductive multimedia buttons do not change the EQ settings.  The buttons physically work (i.e. they light up brighter when I touch them), but no EQ change.  I first installed Audio Driver I from the Lenovo website, then I downloaded and installed the WDM_R196 version as Audio Driver II (the version on the Lenovo website did not allow the front speakers to work).  Like I said, everything works now except that I cannot change the EQ with the multimedia buttons.  Is there something I'm missing??

Also, this is just my opinion, but I don't see much difference in startup, shutdown, and application loading between XP and Vista.  I have 2GB of RAM and 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.  This comparison was made with a stripped down version of XP and with most of the unnecessary services turned off in Vista.  I actually think Vista loads and shutdowns faster than XP, and the application loading time is similar.  This threw me off because I thought XP would perform notably faster.   While idle, XP only uses about 400 MB of RAM and Vista was using about 750MB.  I'm thinking of giving Vista a chance.  Aside from all the bias to XP, are many of you still sticking it out with Vista?  I'm just hoping it doesn't end up like Windows ME - otherwise I'd be learning the Vista for nothing.

Retired Guru
Views: 1,958
Message 2 of 4

Re: Touch Inductive Buttons Don't Adjust EQ in XP - Y510

It's a very strange behaviour - XP is much faster than Vista in all kinds of comparisons.

Can't help with touch inductive buttons - isn't a Shuttle key desighned to switch EQ presets? 

//help will save the world
subzero206
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,911
Message 3 of 4

Skirpatch,

I've figured out what was wrong with my touch buttons.  The pre-set EQ buttons actually do change the EQ settings.  The reason I didn't think they worked was because in Vista, there was a small little graphic in the bottom right corner of your screen that would notify you of which EQ setting you pressed - this is not present in XP.  I do know that the buttons work in XP because I would open up the Audio Manager each time I pressed a button, and the EQ setting would be change corresponding to the button I pressed.

And so now that I have a fully functional XP SP3 OS on my Y510, as well as tweaked it out to run faster (check out:  http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html), I retract my statement about Vista being equally fast as XP.  XP is definitely screaming now on my laptop.  

Lenovo Y510, 1.83 GHz, 2 GB, nVidia 8600M GT

Retired Guru
Views: 1,900
Message 4 of 4

Nice.

As I see - you like to tweak your OS and carry on experiments on laptop.

Just as I do Robot Happy 

The link you provided contains some basic tweaks. If you want to know more and improve your tweaking skills - I recommend installing nLite (for tweaking XP install disk) and vLite (for Vista). Googling on different options and checkboxes in these progs can tell you a lot, though most of them areunderstood by intuition.

Good luck! 

//help will save the world

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors