Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

10-20-2012

USA

4 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 1 of 4

Trying to find model number to retrieve necessary drivers

2012-10-20, 20:51 PM

I'm trying to figure out what my laptop support information is for my Ideapad Y550. I'm going to reinstall windows and am trying to find the necessary drivers for my laptop for after I format my hd. I know my laptop is a Y series 550 with a model number 4186, however, there's one last step to choose your specified model before retrieving the necessary drivers. (http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page?selector=expand#) I have tried looking at the sticker on the bottom of my laptop and I've tried opening up the system information under System tools, without any luck. I haven't tried going through BIOS yet simply because I don't think I should have to in order to fiind such simple information. I've tried Googling and such as well, to no avail. Does it truly matter which model I choose for my drivers or can I pick and choose and hope for the best?

Answer
Options

6467 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28943 Signins

1658018 Page Views

• Views: 1658018

Re: Trying to find model number to retrieve necessary drivers

2012-10-20, 21:08 PM

'afternoon...

welcome to the community.

here is your Y550 driver matrix: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT073108

it should have pretty much whatever you need

hth.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

6467 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28943 Signins

1658018 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

2012-10-20, 21:08 PM

'afternoon...

welcome to the community.

here is your Y550 driver matrix: http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT073108

it should have pretty much whatever you need

hth.

Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

10-20-2012

USA

4 Signins

18 Page Views

• Views: 18
  • Message 3 of 4

2012-10-20, 21:12 PM
Thanks! I tried searching high and low and couldn't find something. When I format my hd, I'll have to install each of these drivers, right?
Options

6467 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28943 Signins

1658018 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2012-10-20, 21:22 PM

you're welcome.

it might be useful to download all or most of the driver packs corresponding to the OS you're installing and saving them onto a USB stick. make a note of the device name's file name as they can be cryptic. once you've reinstalled the OS, i would first focus on devices in Device Manager that are listed as "unknown" or have an "!"

a few that you'll probably immediately want are video, wired LAN, wireless LAN. those kind of things. do note that when you execute the downloaded file, it generally unpacks itself to a directory on your hdd. you'll need to go to that directory and look for a setup.exe to run to actually install the driver. at least that's the way ThinkPad drivers work.

hth.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms