Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
auroris
Paper Tape
Views: 1,219
Message 1 of 6

Trying to install a bigger SSHD on Lenovo Y50-70, absolutely nothing is working

Hello,

I recently bought a Seagate Firecuda 2 TB SSHD to replace the 1 TB Western Digital SSHD the laptop came with. However, everything has been going wrong and I have no idea why. I first started with just doing a direct clone of the hard drive using the tools EaseUS Todo and Macrium Reflect. When I tried to put the new drive in after the clone, it would never even boot, not even if I tried to repair the Windows 10 installation using a recovery USB. I tried doing this about 3 or 4 times with the two different softwares I mentioned above.

Next, what I tried to do was just create a fresh installation of Windows on the new drive, and even that would not work. I could get to the hard drive selection page in the installation window of the recovery tool, but whenever I selected the clean drive, it would just freeze and the hard drive would not do anything. I tried doing things from the command prompt as well, but those commands would just freeze.

After this, I cloned the hard drive again with Macrium Reflect, but decided I was going to use the OneKey Recovery to get the hard drive working again and restore everything to factory. This actually worked and I was able to install Windows 10, and restart the computer numerous times to install new software. However, just last night, when the computer was in hibernation, it woke from hibernation on its own and the computer was frozen to a black screen with no hard drive activity at all. I restarted it, and the computer will no longer boot into the hard drive. It sometimes attempts startup repair or automatic repair, but there is no hard drive activity at all and eventually it just times out to a purple/blue screen. I cannot get USB recovery media to reliably work in this state either.

Scanning the hard drive (I've taken it out and put the old one back in) shows that all partitions are healthy, and it can transfer files just fine. I have no idea what is wrong. I've spent numerous hours over the past week working on this and I'm all out of ideas.

If anyone could help me out, that would be fantastic.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,188
Message 2 of 6

Re: Trying to install a bigger SSHD on Lenovo Y50-70, absolutely nothing is working

@auroris wrote:

I recently bought a Seagate Firecuda 2 TB SSHD to replace the 1 TB Western Digital SSHD the laptop came with. However, everything has been going wrong and I have no idea why.

It might be worth checking the power consumption of the new disk, and comparing it with the power consumption of the old disk (look at the disk specifications on the manufacturer's website).  If the new disk consumes significantly more power than the old, the laptop may not be able to provide sufficient power to operate the new disk reliably, leading to erratic behaviour.

Another possibility is that the BIOS cannot handle such a large disk.

If either of these is true, there is no solution other than to re-install the original 1 TB SSHD.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,157
Message 3 of 6

Re: Trying to install a bigger SSHD on Lenovo Y50-70, absolutely nothing is working

I use AOMEI Backupper Standard which is free product which works. I would not use cloning as its problematic at best. You do an Image backup of the key partitions or full HD to an external drive. Then restore that image to the new drive. The partition would be GPT and it should create them all on the new drive automatically.

That product allows you to create a boot recovery CD with is necessary for any backup application to be of any use. The experience is only as good as the tools you use. If you want a commercial product the TrueImage by Acronis is it. Sometimes installed on some new HD purchased.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

adXerg
Paper Tape
Views: 854
Message 4 of 6

Are you able to use the new SSHD in the end? I am planning to switch my old SSHD to a 2tb SSHD too. 

Highlighted
auroris
Paper Tape
Views: 811
Message 5 of 6

Hey, I was never able to install the Firecuda SSHD. I still have no clue why it doesn't work with my Y50. My best guess is a BIOS incompatibility or a power consumption problem. I ended up caving into these awful SSD prices and put a 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD in there instead just a couple of months ago, as the 1TB WD Black it came with was finally on its last leg.

Ended using the Firecuda as a storage drive for my desktop.

I would recommend trying a different brand of hard drive than Seagate if you plan on getting one for this laptop.

adXerg
Paper Tape
Views: 793
Message 6 of 6

Thank you very much for the clarification.

Top Kudoed Authors