cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
somethingJohn
Punch Card
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎11-04-2013
Location: Netherlands
Views: 932
Message 1 of 6

Trying to repair windows 7, no OS listed in system recovery options

Hi,

I own a Y580-M772CMH 15.6FHD/i7-3610QM/8G/ laptop with Windows 7.

Somehow I accidentely deleted the bootfile with ccleaner so now I'm trying to repair my OS with a Windows ISO. All drives are still listed in the boot menu but the System Recovery Options menu doesn't list anything.

All parts original, no second OS or new partitions made.

 

I'm not sure how to proceed.

Hope somebody can help, thank you in advance.

Sr Support Specialist
Posts: 8,746
Registered: ‎11-30-2015
Location: PH
Views: 909
Message 2 of 6

Re: Trying to repair windows 7, no OS listed in system recovery options

Hi somethingJohn , 

 

Greetings. 

 

If advance repair and repair methods using Install Disc  would not work for you, you can do a back up using another live rescue media to boot from and copy your files on a different storage.

 

Once you have your data you can either try non destructive Windows installation or if you decide to simply use the factory reset (One Key Recovery page 22) if the hidden OEM recovery partition is still viable (destructive but would give you a fresh start). 

 

Update us what works best for you. 

 

Regards



Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 906
Message 3 of 6

Re: Trying to repair windows 7, no OS listed in system recovery options


@somethingJohn wrote:

Hi,

I own a Y580-M772CMH 15.6FHD/i7-3610QM/8G/ laptop with Windows 7.

Somehow I accidentely deleted the bootfile with ccleaner so now I'm trying to repair my OS with a Windows ISO. All drives are still listed in the boot menu but the System Recovery Options menu doesn't list anything.

All parts original, no second OS or new partitions made.

 

I'm not sure how to proceed.

Hope somebody can help, thank you in advance.


Have you tried burning the win 7 iso to a flashdrive? If yes, boot from it and try selecting Repair. Do not select install.

somethingJohn
Punch Card
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎11-04-2013
Location: Netherlands
Views: 903
Message 4 of 6

Re: Trying to repair windows 7, no OS listed in system recovery options


@LenBlazer wrote:

@somethingJohn wrote:

Hi,

I own a Y580-M772CMH 15.6FHD/i7-3610QM/8G/ laptop with Windows 7.

Somehow I accidentely deleted the bootfile with ccleaner so now I'm trying to repair my OS with a Windows ISO. All drives are still listed in the boot menu but the System Recovery Options menu doesn't list anything.

All parts original, no second OS or new partitions made.

 

I'm not sure how to proceed.

Hope somebody can help, thank you in advance.


Have you tried burning the win 7 iso to a flashdrive? If yes, boot from it and try selecting Repair. Do not select install.


 

 

Maybe I did not explain my predicament right but I did already burn an windows 7 ISO on a DVD and used that to boot and selected Repair.

Only when I arrived at the System Recovery Options after selecting repair it did not show me any OS on my system.

 

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 896
Message 5 of 6

Re: Trying to repair windows 7, no OS listed in system recovery options


@somethingJohn wrote:

@LenBlazer wrote:

@somethingJohn wrote:

Hi,

I own a Y580-M772CMH 15.6FHD/i7-3610QM/8G/ laptop with Windows 7.

Somehow I accidentely deleted the bootfile with ccleaner so now I'm trying to repair my OS with a Windows ISO. All drives are still listed in the boot menu but the System Recovery Options menu doesn't list anything.

All parts original, no second OS or new partitions made.

 

I'm not sure how to proceed.

Hope somebody can help, thank you in advance.


Have you tried burning the win 7 iso to a flashdrive? If yes, boot from it and try selecting Repair. Do not select install.


 

 

Maybe I did not explain my predicament right but I did already burn an windows 7 ISO on a DVD and used that to boot and selected Repair.

Only when I arrived at the System Recovery Options after selecting repair it did not show me any OS on my system.

 


I am reading only the post earlier qouted in my first response but was surprise that there are postings after this (maybe combined by admin?). If you made a system image backup you can easily restore it. But based on what you have given it seems that you did not. If personal files are important try making a backup first before doing some repairs. Then you can try using a third party to restore the deleted partitions. See if this helps. If not you may have to install a fresh copy of the os either using OKR or the iso.

somethingJohn
Punch Card
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎11-04-2013
Location: Netherlands
Views: 891
Message 6 of 6

Re: Trying to repair windows 7, no OS listed in system recovery options


@spidey101 wrote:

Hi @somethingJohn , 

 

Greetings. 

 

If advance repair and repair methods using Install Disc  would not work for you, you can do a back up using another live rescue media to boot from and copy your files on a different storage.

 

Once you have your data you can either try non destructive Windows installation or if you decide to simply use the factory reset (One Key Recovery page 22) if the hidden OEM recovery partition is still viable (destructive but would give you a fresh start). 

 

Update us what works best for you. 

 

Regards


Thank you for your help but in the guide you linked (methods using Install Disc) there is this section:

 

"Click Next after the correct installation has been detected. If you have multiple versions of Windows installed, click the one that is broken.
If you see nothing listed here, your computer has a disk controller that Windows Vista or 7 is not able to detect by default. Click Load drivers, insert the CD, floppy disk or DVD that came with your computer or disk controller and load appropriate drivers from there. Your Windows installation will then be located."

 

And that's the problem, where do I find these drivers? No CD, floppy disk or DVD came with the laptop. I assume they are on D:\ which is a disk I can open in that menu and there is a map drivers located there. But which one do I need?

 

 

 

 

Check out current deals!


Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors