Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heebarino
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,548
Message 1 of 7

Two week old Ideapad Z570 overheating!

Long story short, my z570 (stock options, i5 2.5, nvidia 540m, fresh out of the box) runs Skyrim like a champ on high settings, but it reaches temps of around 90 degrees C while playing. Currently idling at 60 degrees C. What the heck? Should I try and upgrade my heatsink/fan? Is that sort of thing even really done for a laptop? or should I trust in Lenovo customer support? Please help! I bought this computer for gaming, but I don't want to fry it within a few months of owning it....

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,531
Message 2 of 7

Re: Two week old Ideapad Z570 overheating!

Hi Heebarino

please have a look at reported temperatures in this Z570 review...

http://translate.google.com/translate?tl=EN&sl=RU&hl=EN&js=y&prev=hp&u=http%3A%2F%2Fretera.ru%2Frevi...

for comparison monitor your temps with the same free 'CPUID Hardware Monitor 'software...

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Zehn

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,526
Message 3 of 7

Also, try reading this thread. I think you'll get a lot of information out of it.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-and-Z-series/many-Z570-problems/m-p/481043#M39768

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

heebarino
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,521
Message 4 of 7

I appreciate you guys getting back to me, however, all of my drivers are up to date and I am not having any of the issues discussed in that thread (no weird function key hangups, Wifi's running fine, etc) and the article that was translated from russian was a little hard for me to understand. I did see it talking about the diffferent fan settings, but it said that typical idle temps should be around 33 degrees C. Making me a bit worried. I will get in contact with Lenovo as soon as I can, but does anyone have any advice for that? My machine is still under warranty, but from what I've been reading, it might just be a better idea to take it in and get the fan and heatsink replaced (if possible, if not, maybe just a new slathering of thermal paste....) Either way, thank you again for your responses on the issue, but I'm still at a bit of a loss.

*EDIT*

I also feel like I should point out that my laptop is new, and running things absolutely fine. Better than expected, actually. But the ridiculously excessive heat has me pretty worried.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,509
Message 5 of 7

Heebarino... I meant you to have a look at the 'CPUID Hardware Monitor ' screenshot (click to zoom)

at the end of the 'HEAT' chapter reporting max CPU core temps of 96 Degrees Celsius

and not at the table of outer case temperatures.

Maybe there is nothing wrong with your Z570 temps at 'pedal to the metal' gaming,

just select high efficiency cooling with 'Thermal management' button,

but please also consult Lenovo Tech Support.

Regards... Zehn

heebarino
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,484
Message 6 of 7

Ah, thanks Zehn. I must've skipped past that screen grab for some reason. This sets my mind at ease a bit, but the translation was a little off in regards to whether or not that negatively effected the laptop in the long run. I will be contacting lenovo support and ask around with them. Thank you again, and have a killer week!

Avua
What's DOS?
Views: 2,883
Message 7 of 7

The reason for such high temperature lies in Intel Turbo Boost. In order to turn it off just go to your Power plan settings --> Change plan settings --> Change advanced power settings --> Processor power management --> Maximum processor state --> Change from 100% to 99%. This should do it. Hope this helps ( :

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors