cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seiko777
What's DOS?
Views: 11,267
Message 1 of 9

USB 3.0 problem on Y510p laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate)

The 2 usb 3.0 drives on left side of Y510p doesn`t work.

There is no problem in device manager (usb 3.0 root and extensible prezent).

The usb 3.0 drive works on usb2.0 sticks.

But on my Kingston 32 GB usb .3.0 stick nothing happens.

My kingston works with destop computer at usb 3.0 speeds (80 MB/sec).

I even tried to get off Lenovo Power management with no effect.

I wait for suggestions from Lenovo URGENT cause i spent a lot of money for stupid problem!

Is there not enough power for usb 3.0??

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 11,161
Message 2 of 9

Re: USB 3.0 problem on Y510p laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate)

hi seiko777,

Welcome to the Forums.

Just to verify, have you tried to re-install the USB 3.0 driver below? 

USB 3.0 Driver 
usb121w7.exe
4.77MB

Also In some cases, doing a power drain and a BIOS reset to re-initialize the hardware components fixes issues like this.

- to do a power drain, turn the computer off, remove the AC adapter and battery, press and hold the power button for 30secs and reconnect the AC adapter and battery.

- to do a BIOS reset, press F2 on power up to boot into the BIOS. When you're in, press F9 to restore factory defaults and press F10 to save and exit.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

davido
Paper Tape
Views: 10,948
Message 3 of 9

I have the exact same issue. I'm using Win 7 Home edition. I have two usb 3.0 thumb drives - a kingston and a verbatim.

Both do not work on the left usb ports - but it works on the right usb 2.0 port.

I've tried to do a power drain, and loaded optimal defaults in the BIOS. Ad also reintalled the BIOS driver above.

Still same result.

My laptop is still under warranty and I want it to send it back.

Please help.

krzsyu
What's DOS?
Views: 10,846
Message 4 of 9

I have the same problem with my y510p with windows 7 pro. i thnk it's a problem with BIOS or drivers. But the lenovo driver support is poor. My external hdd Samsung 1tb works only with 2.0 speed, and toshiba 64gb 3.0 isn't even seen by windows.

please help.
alfons
Paper Tape
Views: 10,824
Message 5 of 9

Updating the driver to:   Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller:  2.5.1.28     (got it directly from intel) solved this issue for me on Win7Pro 64bit.

davido
Paper Tape
Views: 10,812
Message 6 of 9

Thank you very much. I followed your advice and my USB 3.0 ports are working now. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I just wished Lenovo had shown such good support.
SlamBones
Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,501
Message 7 of 9

Alfons .... You are a rock star in my book! Lenovo hardware techs have accessed my computer at least three times to no avail. It was then decided that my 3.0 issue (identical to above issues) was a mother and daughter board issue. World Wide Tech Support (Lenovo's on-site contractor) took my computer apart three different times, beating the crap out of my machine in the process and could never pull their head from four point contact. They ultimately tried dumping me into depot drop off hell. Lenovo and WWTS have many hours invested and wasted trying to resolve the 3.0 issue. Thanks to you sir, my computer is now 99% functional!!! I am still getting some warnings when I run the graphics test, but I am sure that can be ironed out. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! : )
alfons
Paper Tape
Views: 9,320
Message 8 of 9

Thank you for your kind words, your´re welcome.

There is a newer version of the USB 3 driver from Intel, expected to provide some enhancements. Works for me

since a while.

Intel USB 2.5.3.34

jamida
Punch Card
Views: 9,130
Message 9 of 9

Thanks Alfons... that helped. But...

Firstly, I tried the power-down suggestion from the Lenovo fellow above... didn't work. I did not want to reset my BIOS as this was orignially a Win8 machine so... factory settings for the BIOS are not what I want.

But I installed the updated driver directly from INTEL and got USB 3.0 speeds but now it asks me to confirm the installation of the driver after every reboot. Any ideas?

Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors