Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 7 (14,535 Views)

USB boot for Ideapad Z500

Hi.

I bought the Lenovo Ideapad Z500 and I'm trying to boot from a USB drive in order to install Windows on it.

When I start the boot menu I only see the hard-drive, the DVD and the network.

I tried to set both UEFI mode and Legacy mode in BIOS but the USB stick does not appear in the menu when I boot.

I put the image of windows with Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool which formats the stick in NTFS mode.

I have the latest BIOS v1.21 and I tried with 2 different USB sticks: one 16GB USB 2.0 Corsair and with a 32GB USB 3.0 ADATA both on USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports on the notebook.

I really haven't seen anything like this in my entire career. 

I even downloaded the file efi\boot\BOOTX64.efi and replaced the one that Windows come with on the specified folder on the USB stick ....

Why is so difficult to choose the USB boot drive on the newer notebooks?

Does someone have a clue how can I boot from USB?

Thanks in advance!

Bupitz

Community Moderator
Message 2 of 7 (14,531 Views)

Re: USB boot for Ideapad Z500

Hi,

I don't think I can be of much help, but a couple of things to try:  if your USB flash drive is formatted NTFS, it will only boot in legacy mode if it is bootable at all.  One thing you might try is to set the partition active if it isn't already.

If you want to boot in UEFI mode, format the flash drive with a single FAT32 partition.  Copy the contents of your install DVD to the flash drive.  If you're using an ISO copy the contents of the iso using a tool like 7zip.  UEFI bootabiliyt doesn't require using a special tool to prep the drive.  Just format it and copy the install medium to it.

Win7 requires CSM support in bios to boot successfully in UEFI mode.  That may always be enabled in UEFI mode or it may be a separate option in BIOS.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Paper Tape
Message 3 of 7 (14,527 Views)

Thanks for the feedback but as you said it does not help me Smiley Sad

This Z500 is so good on paper but kinda dissapointing when you have it ... the battery cannot be removed, to add an extra 4GB of RAM is a test of maturity having to remove the keyboard without leaving a single skratch, 64bit video card, even installing windows is a pain in the ...

Very dissapointed Smiley Sad

Bit Torrent
Message 4 of 7 (14,516 Views)

All you have to do is to set boot mode = legacy, boot priority=legacy first and enable USB boot in the bios. Be sure that your usb flash drive is listed as the first device to boot. After setting these, insert your flash drive then save and exit. The unit should now boot using your flash drive.

You may also want to create a UEFI bootable flash drive using Rufus by following method two in this link.

Paper Tape
Message 5 of 7 (14,497 Views)

Incredible. None of my sticks worked but a 4GB Kingston did it. I'm now installing Windows from USB.

The settings were the same (legacy-legacy) only the sticks were the problem!

Community Moderator
Message 6 of 7 (14,483 Views)

[ Edited ]

Glad to hear you got it working Smiley Happy

I wonder if there was something strange about the initial formatting or partitioning of the two failing flash drives.

I've had some issues in the past with out-of-the-box formatting - but usually FAT32.  If you ever feel like testing legacy booting again, you might try using DISKPART in a command prompt window to list disk, select disk, clean, create partition primary, format fs=ntfs quick, active, assign ....  then copy your install files to one of the "bad" drives and see if it helps.

(If you try this, be absolutely sure you select your flash drive, not your HDD!)

Thanks for posting your results,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Blue Screen Again
Message 7 of 7 (4,036 Views)

Will USB boot not work with UEFI mode? My secure boot is disabled, mode says 'Standard' on my Z500 laptop. Basically I'm trying to do clean install of Windows 10& Ubuntu i.e. Dual boot. Please suggest.

Top kudoed Authors