Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
riku5464
Paper Tape
Views: 4,305
Message 1 of 7

USB ports don't work on one side of y510p

I have a fairly new Lenovo Y510p laptop (only about 3 weeks old). I have had a wireless keyboard and mouse combo hooked up to one of the two USB ports on the left side of the machine. Today, the computer fails to recognize anything plugged into these two usb ports. There is one usb port on the other side of the laptop (right side) that works just fine. I've spent the past few hours trying to troubleshoot the problem to no avail. The laptop seems to vent heat very well and I have not noticed anything else to indicate overheating. Here's a list of the things I have tried, with no success:

-System Restore

-Uninstall USB root hub in the device manager and reboot

-Update the chipset drivers

-Multiple system reboots

-Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the mouse/keyboard combo (its a Logitech Wireless Wave Combo MK550)

-Try different usb devices in the two non working slots (including a wired keyboard and an external wifi adapter)

I really hope that this is not a hardware problem, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. If anyone has any ideas on what else I can try, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,264
Message 2 of 7

Re: USB ports don't work on one side of y510p

@riku5464 wrote:

I have a fairly new Lenovo Y510p laptop (only about 3 weeks old). I have had a wireless keyboard and mouse combo hooked up to one of the two USB ports on the left side of the machine. Today, the computer fails to recognize anything plugged into these two usb ports. There is one usb port on the other side of the laptop (right side) that works just fine. I've spent the past few hours trying to troubleshoot the problem to no avail. The laptop seems to vent heat very well and I have not noticed anything else to indicate overheating. Here's a list of the things I have tried, with no success:

-System Restore

-Uninstall USB root hub in the device manager and reboot

-Update the chipset drivers

-Multiple system reboots

-Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the mouse/keyboard combo (its a Logitech Wireless Wave Combo MK550)

-Try different usb devices in the two non working slots (including a wired keyboard and an external wifi adapter)

I really hope that this is not a hardware problem, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was. If anyone has any ideas on what else I can try, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

What OS are you using? Is it the blue usb or the other usb that does not work?

riku5464
Paper Tape
Views: 4,256
Message 3 of 7

Windows 8. The yellow port works. The two blue ones don't.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,248
Message 4 of 7

First it is better to let Windows 8 use it's own usb driver. The blue usb port are for USB 3.0 devices while the other is for USB 2.0. Are your wireless kb and mouse USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 devices? Can you use other USB 3.0 devices aside from the kb and mouse that you have on those blue ports just to check if they will work or not?

riku5464
Paper Tape
Views: 4,243
Message 5 of 7

They are USB 2.0 devices. I have tried another USB 2.0 keyboard that is wired and it did not work. I have also tried a USB 2.0 flash drive and a USB 2.0 external hdd , both of which are detected and work fine. The problem only seems to be with HID like keyboards and mice.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,210
Message 6 of 7

@riku5464 wrote:

They are USB 2.0 devices. I have tried another USB 2.0 keyboard that is wired and it did not work. I have also tried a USB 2.0 flash drive and a USB 2.0 external hdd , both of which are detected and work fine. The problem only seems to be with HID like keyboards and mice.

As pointed by you it could be an issue with the kb and mouse. Perhaps you should first try contacting the manufacturer of the kb and mouse or read in their forum (if there are any) regarding this problem. Or use the usb 2.0 port for the mouse and kb since they are actually usb 2.0 devices. You will not get any benefits using those usb 2.0 devices connected to the usb 3.0 ports.

Highlighted
Roman_V
What's DOS?
Views: 2,523
Message 7 of 7

My new lenovo y510p has the same issue. It is seems like the problem can be fixed with driver update for intel usb 3.0 extensible host controller, but it can not be installed on windows 8.1 =(

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors