Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wagnerism
Punch Card
Views: 18,017
Message 1 of 7

Ultrabay Options for the Y-Series Y400 Y500 Y410p Y510p - and questions

I just ordered a Y510p with SLI where the second graphics adapter takes up the only Ultrabay.

I just had an order for a Y510p canceled from the outlet store because the buggy junk website was selling systems that don't exist.  I should have known when I was getting simultaneous wild price and availability fluctuations from three different browsers while Chrome functionality was horrible.

It would have been nice.  I have owned four ThinkPads and a few other IBM/Lenovo systems since 1998.  This opens the door for ASUS to be my next system. I'll probably upgrade this T61 a bit and run it into the ground.  You'd be amazed what 4GB RAM, Win7x64 and an SSD will do to an old laptop.

Original message below, minus my questions.  Good luck to you getting Lenovo to properly market and sell Ultrabay components that they readily sell on new systems.

There were several models from which to choose with use of the Ultrabay varying from a graphics adapter, to a DVD RW, to a Blu-Ray drive.  It appears that my SLI model might have to use a USB-based optical drive because I cannot find the blu-ray option for sale separately.  I have been searching far and wide... and I am usually rather skilled at finidng things on the internet.   The Lenovo search function doesn't seem to find much for my Y510p, but the Y400 shows up a lot.  I have questions later about the form factor of the Ultrabay.

The Ultrabay Wiki could use some updating.  I'll do it if I can figure it out through personal experience and some help here.  I have a mess of questions after listing what I found.

The physical form factor appears to be completely shared between the Y500 and the Y510p.  I believe that the same form factor is used for the Y400 and Y410p, except that the bezel is different.  The part numbers are off by one and the physical dimensions are slightly different - probably because of a bezel.

SLI Graphics
Here's what I have found for Y-Series Removable Graphics:  Three or four models actually sold on the Lenovo site that are a hassle to get working on Y-series laptops not originally equipped.

• Y400 GN35, which is an NVIDIA N13P-GT1 (GT650M) with 2GB.
  • Y500 GN36, not sold anymore? It also appears to also be a GT650M with 2GB but with a different bezel.
  • Y510p GT755M5, which is a GT755M with 2GB
  • Y500s/Y510p GT750M5, which a GT750M with 2GB

Pricing is a bit odd. As of 02MAR2014:

• GT755m5 is usually $250 and is currently discounted at $150
  • GT750m5 is currently sold for $230
  • GN35 is usually $230 and is currently $100 with a coupon code
  • Good luck finding the GN36 - I guess you should just buy they GN35 and live with a different bezel.

Optical Drives

(please share/confirm your original manufacturer part numbers of your drives, especially the blu-ray!)

• Offered on new purchase: DVD-Recordable (dual-layer) (cannot find Lenovo part number or separate sale)
  • Offered on new purchase: Blu-ray/DVD-RW (probably the DB35/DB36)
  • Lenovo Y400 DVD Removable Burner DB35
  • The DB36 Y500 DVD has a link and a price, but redirects stating it is not available, but I can add it to my cart. Weird.  It is the same price as the DB35 and probably only differs with the bezel
  • Lite-On DU-8A5SH DVD Drive about $25-30
  • Panasonic UJ162 Blu-Ray Drive about $90 (my guess for the blu-ray)

Those last two are inferred (from ebay pictures and sellers claims) and have a different data connector than the graphics adapters.

HDD Caddy

The Lame Fan LOL

kullendorff
What's DOS?
Views: 17,999
Message 2 of 7

Re: Ultrabay Options for the Y-Series Y400 Y500 Y410p Y510p - and questions

Very well written thread. 
I have the same questions. So here comes a free bump.

kkuhle
What's DOS?
Views: 17,974
Message 3 of 7

I have been searching very hard for the dvd burner and it's no where to be found.  I've talked to Lenovo and they've been no help.  I actually got someone from sales to order me the part, but only to have the order cancelled a couple days later because they don't carry it  It's pretty frustrating when you buy laptop with the expectation of being able to buy these because it is advertised everywhere that you can swap out the ultrabay accessories, but then they just don't sell them.  I am pretty close to returning mine because I've wasted so much time looking for it and it doesn't seem as if they will ever have anymore of them available.

Highlighted
wagnerism
Punch Card
Views: 17,957
Message 4 of 7

I have two options for your DVD burner right now. It is probably not worth returning the unit, but you might value optical drives more than I do.  I just want a Blu-Ray player.  You probably already know of these options, but they're cheap for the next four days:

Here's a Y400 DVD burner whose rail/bezel is just a little bit off for the Y500 series - $35 shipped.

until 07MAR2014 - DB35 for $70

Coupon code:  FLASHSALE227

To make USB more palatable - how about one from lenovo for $22 shipped?

Lenovo Slim DVD Burner DB65

Coupon code: USP1F445471

(thanks to fatwallet.com for these coupon codes - and you get 5% cash back if you link through their site - quick silly plug - mods delete if this is crass - sign up with this and maybe I'll get something for it.  http://www.fatwallet.com/?referral=wagnerism  )  - I'm not a spammer - that's a lot of work in the OP!

If you want something that fits perfectly, you need to get a typical 9.5mm Serial ATA (SATA) optical drive and, somehow, get the rail and bezel in the table below.  My only concern is any possible whitelisting of certain models.  If others in the forum can share their various drives' model numbers, we'll be a step closer.  Last ditch effort would be to use a USB drive - I guess that works.  I don't seem to be using DVDs that much anymore.

I believe that the optical drives are typical/standard 9.5mm high Serial ATA (SATA) drives.  The other version is 12.5mm high - avoid those.  So you have many options for #2 in the diagram below.  Finding items #1 and #3 is tough.  If I could source a dozen each of those, I could resell Y500/Y510p optical drives to the masses.  It's a couple of plastic parts - I wonder why they're so scarce!  The SATA connector is on the motherboard.

Why this can't be common knowledge posted to the support site... I have no idea.  

The only thing that is unique to the Ideapad is the bezel and the rail.  The rail is the same for Y4xx and Y5xx.  The bezel is purely for looks and is different for Y4xx and Y5xx.  I bet one could shave down a Y4xx bezel to fit the Y5xx models.

opticalparts.jpg

table.jpg

kkuhle
What's DOS?
Views: 17,932
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the info on that.  I have considered getting the y400 drive, but because of the price was worried about risking it not fitting.  Now, at half the price I may just see if I can get it to work. 

Honestly, I barely use the optical drive.  My main purpose to wanting the drive is to be able to take out the second gpu and use the integrated graphics to save battery life.  I could do this without anything to replace it but am paranoid not having anything there and also would prefer to have something that actually lines up with the laptop frame.  It's nice to have the extra graphics power when I'll need it, but I won't be needing it nearly as often as I could use that extra battery life I can get from using integrated graphics.  If only I could use it without taking the second graphics card then this wouldn't be an issue at all.

Are you thinking the only issue with the y400 would be the bezel being a little short because of the length?

wagnerism
Punch Card
Views: 17,912
Message 6 of 7

If you're looking for a slot filler - try buying that lame fan!
kkuhle
What's DOS?
Views: 17,898
Message 7 of 7

Oh man I really want that!  But seriously... I wouldn't mind it if it were even possible to find.  I haven't looked that hard for it, but I don't think it's available either.  If it is, I wouldn't be surprised if Lenovo was trying to charge way too much for it.  I'm pretty sure there are no accessories available for the latest y510ps.  It's pretty disappointing!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors