Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mttp
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 10,568
Message 1 of 26

Unauthorized battery. May pose a threat to safety

I bought this Z710 new but I get a message saying "The battery is unauthorized". Also the battery indicator stays at "0% available (plugged in, not charging)." If I unplug the power cord, the laptop powers off cold. It has always been this way. This is a problem for me because I want to upgrade my BIOS but I can't because I get an error stating "Battry is too low (0 < 30 ). Please charge your battery to 30%." when I try.

How do I get this laptop to start interacting with its battery? I have already tried taking it out and putting it in again and rebooting.

mttp
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 10,463
Message 2 of 26

Re: Unauthorized battery. May pose a threat to safety

Hello, anyone? Is this a manufacturer's defect?

As I said, the battery appears not to work at all. The laptop must remain plugged in always to work, and the battery never charges even slightly when plugged in. The error message "Unauthorized battery. May pose a threat to safety" appears after Windows has loaded and the various operating system tasks are starting.

Is there a workaround?

mttp
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 10,415
Message 3 of 26

I talked with someone from Lenovo support who agreed this is a manufacturer's defect, and said they would send me a replacement battery in 3-10 business days.

gdenn
Paper Tape
Views: 10,015
Message 4 of 26

Did the new battery fix the issue?

I (and many other people) have a z510 with the same problem. The technician said the z510 and z710 have a similar problem with the battery. I'm sending my computer off to a Lenovo repair centre for them to replace my battery (it's not removable from the outside), so I'm curious to know if it fixed the problem for you.
mttp
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 9,892
Message 5 of 26

Time will tell...

mttp
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 9,784
Message 6 of 26

Yes.

dschnatz
Blue Screen Again
Views: 9,004
Message 7 of 26

I also have this problem. My z710 worked for two months and now battery will not charge and a pop-up states it is an unauthorized battery that may pose a threat to safety. I have two years warranty but for the life of me I cannot find how to contact Lenovo to ask for a new battery. All I get is the knowlege base whenever I click 'contact' Lenovo. I was quite proficient in dos and windows xp and that other stuff but an old lady now and feeling quite deflated about navigating the Lenovo help site.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 8,999
Message 8 of 26

@dschnatz wrote:

I also have this problem. My z710 worked for two months and now battery will not charge and a pop-up states it is an unauthorized battery that may pose a threat to safety. I have two years warranty but for the life of me I cannot find how to contact Lenovo to ask for a new battery. All I get is the knowlege base whenever I click 'contact' Lenovo. I was quite proficient in dos and windows xp and that other stuff but an old lady now and feeling quite deflated about navigating the Lenovo help site.

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Dschnatz !

You can call......

1-877-4-Lenovo, 1-877-453-6686
24 hours a day 7 days/week

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

dschnatz
Blue Screen Again
Views: 8,986
Message 9 of 26

I called - after an extensive phone call, they are replacing the battery.

iacobionut
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 8,894
Message 10 of 26

Hello guys,

I had the same problem with my battery couple of months ago. The solution was quite simple in my case, I just removed the battery and put it back on.

I think it's a problem if the battery is really discharged ( 0 % ), the Lenovo Energy Manager will see it as an authorized battery . So, if you do read this reply and you do have the same problem try to remove the battery and put it back on.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ciprian

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors