Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Poplock
What's DOS?
Views: 2,328
Message 1 of 7

Uninstalled NVIDIA Card, Can't Reinstall - Y570

I was having some trouble with my NVIDIA graphics card (Geforce GT 555M) that came installed on my Lenovo Y570. The laptop has the Optimus feature to let me switch between the NVIDIA card and the Intel Integrated card but all my games were using the Intel card even when I specified the use of the NVIDIA card in the NVIDIA control panel.

I decided to re-install the NVIDIA video card to see if that might work so I uninstalled the entire device in the Device Manager (not just the driver). In my past experience, when you uninstall something in Device Manager and then scan for Plug and Play Hardware it will show up again for reinstallation. But the NVIDIA card doesn't show up.

Is there any way to reinstall the NVIDIA video card now? Using the Add Hardware Wizard did not work either.

velenoso666
802.11n
Views: 2,318
Message 2 of 7

Re: Uninstalled NVIDIA Card, Can't Reinstall - Y570

Your drivers should be reinstalled on a reboot, even though you should uninstall in programs & features and install these from this site for more up to date drivers. or try the auto detect

Poplock
What's DOS?
Views: 2,310
Message 3 of 7

I rebooted as part of the uninstallation of the entire card. When I opened up Device Manager again, there's no mention of the NVIDIA card at all in the Device Manager. I've rebooted a few more times and still no sign.

The AutoDetect says it can't even find an NVIDIA device on my computer. Similarly, when I try to install drivers that I had from before using the stand-alone executable, it says it can't find an NVIDIA device.

My problem isn't simply getting the right drivers, it's getting my computer to recognize the NVIDIA card entirely since I uninstalled it.
velenoso666
802.11n
Views: 2,302
Message 4 of 7

In system infomation ----> components ----> Display, does it give details of your card?, if it doesn't that would be weird.

Poplock
What's DOS?
Views: 2,299
Message 5 of 7

No, the only card that shows up in System Information is the Intel Integrated card. I'm wondering if I'll need to open my laptop to get this fixed (if that would even do it). Or if I'll need to send it in.

velenoso666
802.11n
Views: 2,294
Message 6 of 7

Seems to me that it's a dead NVIDIA card or the socket its plugged into is dead, either way it would appear that you most probably need a new motherboard.

In addition, you might try reflashing the bios.

jkohatsu
Paper Tape
Views: 1,052
Message 7 of 7

got the same issue, it didn't work (code 43)... i uninstalled it and then it was gone. i wanna do a clean install of all the laptop to see if it works. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors