Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pwabrahams
Fanfold Paper
Views: 257
Message 1 of 2

Unreadable blue screen after recovery

I have a Lenovo Z580 which came with Windows 7 preinstalled (and no CDs).  Since I wanted to run Linux, I had to rearrange the partitions.  I had this system working more or less correctly for several months.

Then I tried adding a partition that wasn't at the end and all hell broke loose.  The result was that

I lost the partition table.  I did have a set of recovery disks that I had made, and I tried using them.  The system came up briefly, displayed a blue screen so quickly I couldn't read it, and then recycled.   I got the screen with the choice of startup options (normal, safe, etc.), but whatever I chose the Windows logo started to display and then the blue screen flashed, followed by a reboot.  The Windows XP trick of using F8 to make the blue screen readable had no effect.

I tried using a Windows 7 recovery disk with the Startup Repair option but it didn't help.

Fortunately I have several tools that can get me information about what is going on and possibly help fix it: gparted, a Kubuntu live system CD, and a UBCD (Universal Boot CD) memory stick with a collection of tools.  Using gparted I determined that I have these partitions:

P1  200 MB

P2  654GB, Windows7_OS

P3 extended, containing P5

P5, 26GB

P4  20GB LENOVO_PART

I can use Live Kubuntu to examine the HPFS file system, but I don't know what to look for in it.

How can I stabilize that blue screen so I can read it?  And how can I get my system back?

Tinderbox_UK
Broadband 3G
Views: 249
Message 2 of 2

Re: Unreadable blue screen after recovery

Have a read though the previous threads, specifically the one key recovery threads, their is a few downloadable one key recover 7.0 dvd`s that might help to restore your Z580.

Have you tried removing the partition that you created, also have you tried the free partition wizard home edition, i use it to delete, expand and it has partition recovery options, though i think you have big problems.

Good luck.

I have had many brands of notebooks, and lenovo should be ashamed at the way they set the partitions up and the limitations of the one key recovery.

I have for a few years as soon as i get an new notebook, remove the hdd and put it in an external caddy and connect it to a notebook and make an image of the original hdd and clone it to an ssd or an better hdd, so i never touch the original hdd, so i always have a backup.

John.

Win7 Lenovo Ideapad Z580 i5-3210m HD4000 Win7 x64 8gb 1600MHz Samsung 830 256GB SSD

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors