Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ulyray
Paper Tape
Views: 1,969
Message 1 of 4

Unusual Noise and Vibration of slot-in Dvd drive Lenovo 3000 Y410

There is unusual loud noise and vibration caused by spindle motor of my dvd drive. Can this be resolved by CRU's? Does anyone also encountered this kind of problem?

Message Edited by ulyray on 05-05-2008 09:09 AM
Highlighted
Former Administrator
Views: 1,946
Message 2 of 4

Re: Unusual Noise and Vibration of slot-in Dvd drive Lenovo 3000 Y410

Ulyray,

Could you tell us a bit more about when the drive seems unusually loud and vibrates?  Is it when it first spins up a DVD, or all the time?    Have you tried running it at lower speeds?   I believe Skripatch had some suggestions on that in the IdeaPad section of the forum.

Other forum members with Y410 may weigh in here with perception as to when some noise and vibration is typical in operation and whether yours may be abnormal.   Most drives I've seen exhibit some vibration and sound when spinning up the disk.

If your drive is indeed defective, it may be best to consult with service in your country to see if they will send the part, or have you send to a central repair center.   Here in North America, customers would send in their system to have the DVD replaced on the Y410 models.
ulyray
Paper Tape
Views: 1,928
Message 3 of 4

Here's how it goes, when i put the cd in the drive and open some files or install softwares, the noise and vibration gets louder all the time, i already have tried many cd's.  

I have tried new cd's, same cd's, and before and it was really smooth and quiet, but this time it really sounds abnormal. Smiley Sad

Thanks for the reply sir, i have called the lenovo hotline, and they have suggested to bring the laptop to the service center, I also called the reseller of my laptop regarding this matter. They say i have 2 choices either i bring the laptop to them (reseller), and have the whole unit replace by their supplier if not repairable, or bring it directly to the service center.

For the reseller they say it might take a maximum of 30 days for it, and I do understand the process it should take.
For the service centers they say it depends.

The follow up question is.... what do you think is the best option?

Retired Guru
Views: 1,920
Message 4 of 4

This and this progs may help reducing the noise, but it affects data trasnsfer speed. Also recommend to do one action simultaneosly - multy-thread read reduce speed and increase noise.

Choosing between two repair options I'd recommend get your notebook directly to service.
//help will save the world

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors