Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luizcanguini
Punch Card
Views: 5,593
Message 1 of 6

Upgrade Graphic card - Z710

Hello,

I would like to know if is it possible o upgrade the current graphic card I have to another one?

I have the Nvidia 740M and I would another one like Nividia 870M / 880M.

Thank you.

ArChLinuxOS
802.11n
Views: 5,588
Message 2 of 6

Re: Upgrade Graphic card - Z710

I'm pretty sure the GPU is attached to the motherboard, which would mean you can't upgrade it. I might be mistaken though.
Y510p: i7 4700MQ (Overclocked to 3.6GHz), SLI GT 755M (Each Overclocked 111MHz), Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2133MHz, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, MyDigitalSSD SuperBoot 128GB, Intel Wireless-AC 7260, Windows 10 Home
Dell XPS 13 (2015): i5 5200U, Intel HD 5500, 4GB 1600MHz, 128GB Samsung M.2 SSD, 802.11ac WLAN, Windows 10 Home (School Laptop)
Bolimomo
Punch Card
Views: 5,578
Message 3 of 6

@luizcanguini wrote:

I would like to know if is it possible o upgrade the current graphic card I have to another one?

I have the Nvidia 740M and I would another one like Nividia 870M / 880M.

I am intrigued by this question.  I think ArChLinuxOS is partly right.  Yes the graphics chip is mounted on the motherboard (no separate graphic card).  But I believe you can unmount it and plug in a different graphics chip.

I opened the backcover of my Z710 and here is a picture I took:

Z710_Laptop_Bottom_Opened_GraphicsChip.jpg

I have highlighted (red color) the graphics chip (I believe it is).  And 2 yellow arrows pointing to the 2 screws that hold the chip in place.  It seems Lenovo designed it that way, where they use a copper heatsink bar to cross from the CPU (on the left), over the graphics chip, and conduct heat to exhaust duct of the chassis fan.

I have co-related it with the Z710 motherboard available for purchase on EBAY:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-LENOVO-Z710-IDEAPAD-MOTHERBOARD-11S90004893-59400487-90004893-/3214...

It looks consistent.  They sell motherboard without CPU, without graphics chip, and without RAM.  All of them seems just pluggable.

But the homework for you to do is:  Do nVidia 740M and 870M/880M use the same socket?  Are they compatible?  If so, you can try swapping them and get the proper driver software to support it, test it, etc..

Just note that I have never done this before.  It is only my educated guess.  If I were to upgrade the graphics capability on my Z710 that is how I would go about it.

luizcanguini
Punch Card
Views: 5,567
Message 4 of 6

Great to get this information.

I'm not at Z710 right now but I will check the following questions to bring it up.

Regarding the price for a new motherboard I guess is quite expensive + hard work to put it up with a new parts. Also the graphic card will be expensive. I had never checked it before.

In this case I would prefer go to another laptop. On the other hand a new laptop is around 1.500 $ ~ 2.000 $.

Anyway I'm very curious now to discover it. Just for extra information.

Note: The laptop is good just need to improve the graphic card.

Bolimomo
Punch Card
Views: 5,552
Message 5 of 6

@luizcanguini wrote:

Regarding the price for a new motherboard I guess is quite expensive + hard work to put it up with a new parts. Also the graphic card will be expensive. I had never checked it before.

Well, I think those motherboards are meant to be purchased as replacements - e.g. someone fried something on the MoBo, then buy a new MoBo, save the CPU, GPU, memory and still continue to use the laptop.  It is not intended for someone to buy components to build a laptop from pieces (you would need the chassis, batteries, etc..).  Building from parts are very likely to be more expensive than buying a Z710 from Lenovo.

PappaChazz
Paper Tape
Views: 180
Message 6 of 6

I understand that the motherboard is meant to be used as a replacement, and in the case of wanting to upgrade your gpu, it *is* being used as a replacement.  The question would begin with:

1) replace the mobo ("old") with the one that has no RAM, no cpu, no gpu, no hdd ("new")

2) put the cpu, RAM, hdd from the old into the new

3) purchase a 960M (Maxwell configuration, same holes, pins, etc)

4) slip the components in 

5) fire it up

which leads to 

6) will it explode?

6a) did you just find a work around and now have a card that's been upgraded to the best that you'll get with this mobo?

in case someone is interested:

cost for gtx 960M, brand new on ebay is $68,07 (USD) and free shipping

cost for z710 mobo blank is $65.40 (USD) free shipping.

Total cost (for parts): 133.47

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors