Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lunas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 635
Message 11 of 19

Re: Upgrade SSD for Lenovo Z51-70

The odd sata has a white list of only certain drive configurations working.
Try your ssd in the main drive port inside the pc. Put the stock drive it came with in your caddy. 

Mod's Edit: moved text into Body of message for easier reading by members.

Tushar9912
Paper Tape
Views: 625
Message 12 of 19

I did the same as you said but it doesnt read. When i boot after doing this, it shows

Checking media and then error pops up EFI network 0 for ipv4.......boot failed.

Going into boot manager i only have EFI PXE Network as an option.

I have BIOS 2.02 but i saw an update available on Lenovo website, it might work.

But my battery is dead and iit' Impossible to do the update on AC adapter. I tried /forceit command in cmd as well but doesnt work.

I cant cant a way out now Smiley Sad

Tushar9912
Paper Tape
Views: 615
Message 13 of 19

I just confirmed, although my BIOS is latest.

Other than that I don't what Lenovo is producing. I wonder why they haven't given this feature.

Considering Hp, Dell. they are pretty good. I tried putting the SSD in ODD of my sisters Hp(5years old laptop) It happened in a second and worked just perfect.

Lucas, it will be great if you can help me in any way possible. I really am annoyed right now looking at the fact that I bought one and there is no solution other than replacing it with the main HDD and living on 250 gb space in the whole laptop. Its gonna be tight.

Lunas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 609
Message 14 of 19

Like I said there are about 3 drives they have whitelisted for the odd bay mine came with a 1tb sshd in the main bay I pulled that out and put a 250gb ssd in place with plans of putting a 2tb drive in odd bay. There was no config that the 2tb worked with but the 250 gb main 1tb odd did. Later I put a 500 gb in place of the 250. While you are inside this laptop you can clean its fan and replace the battery.

Tushar9912
Paper Tape
Views: 602
Message 15 of 19

Ah, forget the battery.

But, as you said you used the main 1tb HDD in the ODD bay. I did the same as you, 250 gb samsung 860 evo in in main area and 1th stock HDD in ODD, but the HDD in ODD doesn't work!

Lunas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 596
Message 16 of 19

I dont know why it is not working then for me it just did. try a bios reset? If the caddy has a switch on it try flipping it mine did but it did not seem to matter.

Tushar9912
Paper Tape
Views: 592
Message 17 of 19

The caddy and ssd setup is working fine.

I checked on another laptop(hp).

Lucas, i appreciate your help and i wonder why someone from lenovo is not helping us.

I still wonder, if that port can read a disc drive then why not a ssd or an hdd.

Lunas
Blue Screen Again
Views: 580
Message 18 of 19

Because Lenovo has white list restrictions on what device can be put on that interface. They have it limited to just the od drive and for some a limited number of hard drives my only idea as to why it worked on mine and not yours is I got mine at launch of that model perhaps there was an internal hw revision that closed up the white list more and it is stored not in bios but the controller for that interface... 

Erregerre
Blue Screen Again
Views: 291
Message 19 of 19

OK. Thanks. I've assumed that.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors