Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
couchpotatofilm
Paper Tape
Views: 2,704
Message 1 of 5

Upgrade Z580 CPU - Is it possible?

Hey,  

I have just aquired a very cheap Z580,  it contains the i5 3210m 2.5ghz CPU.  I have added and extra 2gb RAM taking it to 8gb.  I will be using this computer on the road for light video editing and transcoding.  The software i use is CPU heavy, so I have thought about upgrading it to an i7.  If this is possible does anyone have any recommendations.  

Adam 

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 2,683
Message 2 of 5

Re: Upgrade Z580 CPU - Is it possible?

Buy what you need. Speed more money for it.
That one is what it is. No more..
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

couchpotatofilm
Paper Tape
Views: 2,681
Message 3 of 5

I should have mentioned in the original post that i didn't want someone just telling me to buy something else, to spend more money etc.....  You didn't answer a single thing i asked, so why comment?  I have an i7 that should work in this model, i was just asking if it was possible and wanted to see what people recommended.  I have a nice edit suite in the office so don't need to spend a ton of money on something that comes on the road witrh me. 

If you can't say anything nice then shut up.

Guru
Views: 2,662
Message 4 of 5

You might be able to upgrade to something like the Intel i7-3610QM, but first make sure your CPU is not soldered onto the motherboard. Also, upgrading from an i5 to an i7 results in a lot more heat- make sure your laptop can handle that amount of heat. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,659
Message 5 of 5

@couchpotatofilm...

Your machine's CPU is socketed. Have a look at pages 86-87 of the hardware manual: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_z380_z480_z485_z580_z585_hmm_1st_edition_fe... to see which CPUs (item #8) were configured in the machine.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors