Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Justin685
Paper Tape
Views: 308
Message 1 of 3

Upgrade to win 8.1 from 7

Hi everybody, usually I dont have a problem with fixing my own computer problems, but this one has me worried.

Today I upgraded my Y580 from windows 7 to windows 8.1 via a free update that was provided through my college.  All went well in the update, but as I started to mess around with win 8, I realized my onekey recovery and onekey theater functions are gone. Now im worried about what else doesnt work anymore..

Anyways, I really liked both of the onekey functions and i'd like to have them back... any ideas??

Thanks

Justin685
Paper Tape
Views: 285
Message 2 of 3

Re: Upgrade to win 8.1 from 7

Nobody???   Still trying to fix this..

I realize there are other threads on this, but i'm not reading through hundreds of pages to hopefully find the same problem as mine.

Anyways, this is what I have found

When windows 8.1 finished, it created a folder called windows.old, and this folder includes most of the lenovo programs including onekey recovery and onekey theater.  I moved the onekey theater folder over to the new lenovo folder in program files x86 and ran onekeystudio.exe.  To my surprise this actually works again, but I have to run the exe again after each restart for the button to work.

Next, I found onekey recovery in the lenovo folder and it has an installer in it, but havent installed it yet.  I know that the recovery partition in the HDD doesnt have a letter, but it is called OEM partition with a value of around 20 gigs.

I checked my partitions after the win8 install and it is still there.  Will it still include my factory restore point if I can get OKR to function again?  and how can I get OKR to work again?

Still looking for advice on this

Thanks

Justin685
Paper Tape
Views: 260
Message 3 of 3

Re: Upgrade to win 8.1 from 7

not sure why im posting when nobody is helping me....

I installed onekey recovery 7 and all is well there, it works now, but there is a slight problem..  it only works when windows 8.1 is running, the button doesnt function when the computer is off.

Before when using the button, it would work when the pc is off, and that was my escape plan when my pc wouldnt boot.

But the good news is now it gives me the option to make a backup disc or recover to the factory setting. 

My question to you guys is; will onekey recovery recognize my windows 7 factory setting?  (OEM partition)

I dont want to press it and find out incase something evil happens, as this is my only hope for a safe restore at the moment.

thanks for any help

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors