Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bryand1
What's DOS?
Views: 21,970
Message 1 of 39

Upgraded to Windows 10 on Lenovo Ideapad p400 touch, screen went dim

Hello,

I just installed the free Windows 10 upgrade on my Lenovo Ideapad p400 touch last night.  I woke up this morning and booted up my computer, and everything was fine until I attempted to change the brightness.  When I tried to do this, my screen went very dim, and now I can't adjust the brightness (and I can't read my screen well, either).  Normally, I would install/reinstall the video driver in order to fix this problem (recommended for other users with similar issues), but I currently do not see a Windows 10 version of the driver I need on the Lenovo website.

I was wondering:

a) if/when a new driver would be available to install (if that's the recommended solution)

b) is there something else going on?

c) Windows 10 allows you to revert back to Windows 8.1 within the first month of use.  Should I just do this?

d) Is the p400 touch capable of running Windows 10? Why or why not?

Thank you!

Guru
Views: 21,753
Message 2 of 39

Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 on Lenovo Ideapad p400 touch, screen went dim

If you look in this list -

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103535

P400 is not listed as a supported system. I doubt it will be supported in the future but you can always call and ask Lenovo directly.

Why it is going dim?

This is because of the Chipset or the Intel drivers.

What you can do to make it functional?

- Try uninstalling the chipset and Intel drivers --- Restart --- Let drivers install automatically and check.

These can be uninstalled from "Device Manager" and "Programs & Features" in Control Panel

- Revert back to windows 8.1 (This option may or may not work - Did not work on my system)

- Reset laptop to factory settings

good luck.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
pib319
Blue Screen Again
Views: 21,731
Message 3 of 39

Yo I also have this problem. It's pretty frustrating that the p400 won't be getting Windows10 support. Makes my laptop feel useless, even though it has very capable hardware. If someone out there kind find a good fix for us p400 users I would be elated. 

mscj
What's DOS?
Views: 21,683
Message 4 of 39

As a work around, you can get your screen bright by restarting.  

When the Lenovo logo comes up, before Windows 10 has booted, press the bright screen button to achieve desired brightness.  

This obviously sucks but at least I can see my screen while looking for another solution.  Hope this thread one day delivers a working solution.  After a little research going back to windows 8 or even 7 aren't great solutions for me.  

bluemonday
Paper Tape
Views: 21,676
Message 5 of 39

Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 on Lenovo Ideapad p400 touch, screen went dim... Reinstall old driver...

My solution- reinstalled driver version 10.18.10.3277

This is what I did:

- I went to MS website. They say contact the vendors.

-I went to Intel and downloaded the latest driver for HD4000 for Win 10. Did not fix it. Intel says that the Intel Graphics card  in the Z400 is a generic one and their Win 10 update may not fix it because of what Lenovo might have done in its design.

-I went to Lenovo. Z400 is NOT on their list to update to Win 10.

- In desperation, I reinstalled the driver that was on my laptop:

Computer Windows 8 OS C:

Drivers

Intel Video Driver

Setup

Run set up and reinstall the driver. if you don't have that driver on your computer go to Leno Driver database for Z400 and get it. Hope that works. It worked for me. The Brightness function keys are working perfectly just as before.

Tecmo_SB_Guy
Punch Card
Views: 21,627
Message 6 of 39

Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 on Lenovo Ideapad p400 touch, screen went dim... Reinstall old driver...

Hello.  I also have a Lenovo Ideapad p400 touch.  Screen also went dim on me.

In Windows 8.1 just uninstalling graphic's driver worked.  It was Control Panel, Device Manager and then Display Adapters.  That doesn't work with Windows 10.

The other solution of rebooting and press the increase brightness key at the Lenovo logo somewhat works but it doesn't turn the brightness all the way up.

So I found this worked for me:

Go here:  http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-p-series-laptops/ideapad-p400-...

And just download and reinstall the old graphics driver for Windows 8.  That finally got me back to maximum brightness.

bluemonday
Paper Tape
Views: 21,567
Message 7 of 39

Re: dim screen after installing win 10 solution... update...

It's been 5 days since i reinstalled intel's graphis driver. i have dim control now, but... Win 10 has a problem with the graphics driver that was written for win 8.1. everytime i wake up my laptop from sleep mode, win 10 tells me that the graphics driver failed but has recovered it. win 10 also hangs up sometimes when i wake up the laptop from a sleep mode, so we have a combination problem here: win 10 and the graphis driver from lenovo.

It is disappointing that Lenovo does not have any updates for Z400. My two Z400's are about 2-3 years old. If Lenovo has thrown the Z400 on the heap pile of "legacy" computers already and doesn't offer updates for drivers and such, my only conclusion is the next computers i purchase will be ASUS or Toshiba..

bluemonday
Paper Tape
Views: 21,565
Message 8 of 39

reinstall the graphics driver after loading win 10. i explain how on my previous post. 

Tecmo_SB_Guy
Punch Card
Views: 21,521
Message 9 of 39

Yup, as was said earlier the computers discussed in this thread are not on the supported list.

I also found this:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103611

Here Lenovo says both the P400 Touch and the Z400 (among other models) are on a list where Lenovo recommends that owners of these models NOT upgrade to Windows 10.

bluemonday
Paper Tape
Views: 21,506
Message 10 of 39

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I'll probably roll back to Win 8.1, take Lenovo off my mailing list and look to ASUS or Toshiba for my next computer.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors