cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bacarper
What's DOS?
Views: 1,428
Message 21 of 39

Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 on Lenovo Ideapad p400 touch, screen went dim... Reinstall old driver...

Thank you so much! This worked for me! Which was most welcomed, because sitting under a blanket draped over the laptop was really uncomfortable, hot and claustrophobic.......
mcaustinsr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,307
Message 22 of 39

Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 on Lenovo Ideapad p400 touch, screen went dim

@Tecmo_SB_Guy wrote: 

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103611

Here Lenovo says both the P400 Touch and the Z400 (among other models) are on a list where Lenovo recommends that owners of these models NOT upgrade to Windows 10.

This is what ticks me off.  The P400 Touch is not that old of a machine! What makes it worse, it's a great machine! Lenovo should be supporting this system for Windows 10!   If this is what I can expect in the future, for Lenovo to bail on me before end of life on the machine and Lenovo could care less about me as a customer, then I have no reason to remain with the Lenovo brand.  It's really a shame because the P400 has been my favorite laptop out of all that I have owned, and I have owned MANY!    This is the first time I have felt abandoned by the manufacturer.  Get with it Lenovo, you have customers to support!

bluemonday
Paper Tape
Views: 1,284
Message 23 of 39

I agree with you.

I also think that consumers (including myself) have a preconceived notion that the brand of a computer infers that the brand company has a large factory or two where their engineers design and manufacturer computers. For the consumer market, most computer brands are actually corporate/marketing departments who outsource computers from various vendors, have their brand name printed on it and then market the computer as one-of-a kind. Tech support is outsourced, as well. For me, the idea of brand loyalty towards any computer manufacturer is dead. Lenovo, Asus, Dell, etc. are pretty much the same. I treat all of my home computers as replaceable/throw-aways with a life expectancy of 5-7 years.

mcaustinsr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,272
Message 24 of 39

I worked for IBM before they sold Lenovo the business.  I've been to the physical location where they were made and supported.  At the time Lenovo took over, they were making the laptops and some support was outsourced but not all.  The preconceived notion was warranted for this company.  But if this is a trend for future products, I don't care where it's made!  And yes, 5 years is the lifespan.  We aren't there yet for the P400 which is why it should still be supported for Windows 10.  We have a couple of years yet to go!  This is ridiculous! 

lauryn
Paper Tape
Views: 1,249
Message 25 of 39

Hey everyone,

I finally got fed up with having to revert back to the old driver every time my computer restarted, because turning off the upgrade to drivers didn't work. There is a tool to hide updates to certain drivers and this is what seems to be the only fix. I tried this out and now when I restart my computer, it doesn't automatically add updates to that one driver. 

Here is the link: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Hope this helps! Now I can enjoy my laptop without it freezing or turning dim if I accidentally hit the brightness key

cflanaga01
Paper Tape
Views: 1,148
Message 26 of 39

you are a genius. This works for me. BUT in the fuyture, don't use brightness key after windows comes up or it will dim again and you will be back to square 1 and have to redo this trick.  I keep a note taped by the brightness to so that I don't make the mistake. Thanks

Lintball
Paper Tape
Views: 1,091
Message 27 of 39

It would have been nice if the upgrade to Win10 had a red flag, especially since I followed the link to upgrade to 10 on the Lenovo support website.  I was having trouble with the brightness issue BEFORE the upgrade, but suddenly, months after the upgrade, my mousepad is acting all wonky and I cannot scroll.  That, apparently, is another compatibility issue.

@Tecmo_SB_Guy wrote:

Yup, as was said earlier the computers discussed in this thread are not on the supported list.

I also found this:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103611

Here Lenovo says both the P400 Touch and the Z400 (among other models) are on a list where Lenovo recommends that owners of these models NOT upgrade to Windows 10.

rbasavan
What's DOS?
Views: 989
Message 28 of 39

Re: Upgraded to Windows 10 on Lenovo Ideapad p400 touch, screen went dim... Reinstall old driver...

Thanks... this solution worked well.

zdaytona
Paper Tape
Views: 766
Message 29 of 39

i went round andround with lenovo. They will not support the p/z400 laptops for video drivers. i called the BBB and got no where. basiclly we made the mistake of buying lenovo. 

pib319
Blue Screen Again
Views: 764
Message 30 of 39

Look at my previous comment on this thread, that method works. Once the video driver is installed, look up how to disable future driver updates on windows 10 and do that. That should work for you from now on. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors