Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gre_gMahon
Blue Screen Again
Views: 14,239
Message 1 of 26

Upgrading Y510p GPU

Hello, I'm thinking of buying a y510p. At the moment I don't need the dual graphics card version, so I was just going to buy the single version. Would it be possible if I upgraded to SLI later, or does that only work with the dual variants? 

Y510P_owner
Punch Card
Views: 14,216
Message 2 of 26

Re: Upgrading Y510p GPU

I bought the Y510P with a single GPU back in August and am trying to add a 2nd GPU now... Nothing but trouble so far as the Lenovo site fails to mention when you guy the removable GT750M Ultrabay accessory that your laptop also requires the 170W power adapter to run a dual GPU configuration... Others who bought a new dual-GPU (SLI) laptop from factory confirmed that they received  a 170W supply with their unit (instead of the 120W dapter that a single-GPU laptop ships with)...  If you will want a 2nd GPU down the road, I would highly recommend to get it installed with the unit by Lenovo up front instead. 

Y510P_owner
Punch Card
Views: 14,214
Message 3 of 26

and in case I sound too negative about this topic, here is a thread about other users' expereinces:  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-V-Z-and-P-series/New-y510p-sli-card-not-detected/td-p/131228...

gre_gMahon
Blue Screen Again
Views: 14,194
Message 4 of 26

Buying the adapter doesn't sound too bad. But thanks for the help. I'll probably go for the dual version.

Syed_Omer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 14,131
Message 5 of 26

Can anyone guide me ehats the procedure of doing it ? whats the cost ?

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in. Was; Converting Single GPU to SLI Dual GPU in y510p?

Varroa
802.11n
Views: 14,117
Message 6 of 26

Right now I wouldn't bother doing this. The card lenovo is selling doesn't actually work so you will be wasting your money (see the thread linked above). If you do go ahead and do it then you have to buy the Ulrabay card and the 170w adapter (sold seperatlely) and then you just remove the DVD drive and put the new card in. You have to use the new adapter as well. You would also have to re-install the drivers. 

But again, don't bother until they fix the problem

Syed_Omer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 14,075
Message 7 of 26

can i ask an off topic question here iw as not getting a reply on orignal post 

i bought my Lenovo y510P a month ago with single GPU

my laptop gives a backup time of just 2 hours with low brightness 
is there a problem with my battery or are there any hidden programs running 

lenovo claims that this laptop gives a battery time of 4,5 hours 

Varroa
802.11n
Views: 14,073
Message 8 of 26

Could be you don't have optimus running. Go into the Nvidia control panel and under the global settings make sure it is not set to only use the Nvidia card for all activities.

PsychoMuffin
Fanfold Paper
Views: 13,575
Message 9 of 26

Would it be possible to upgrade to 2 gpu's with the Model that includes the single GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5? 

I bought that model a few months ago, and now i'd like to try and upgrade it since it's already starting to lag behind.

If the problem with upgrading is fixed, would it be likely that I'll be able to upgrade?

Prof_Who
Paper Tape
Views: 13,570
Message 10 of 26

Here is the link to the card

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?...

It is more expensive than the GT755M, but it should work for you.  There were problems with upgrading to the sli at first with the GT750M, but I belive the VBIOS update that you install after manually installing the sli will fix it.  I upgraded my GT755M with 0 issues.  Just remember to also upgrade your power cord.  The second card will need a 170W cord, here is the link to the one that is compatiable with the Y510p

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?...

It is the same one I am using now on my upgraded Y510p

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors