Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandertheking
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,985
Message 11 of 20

Re: Upgrading your wireless card Y510p to Wifi AC

Hi,

Does the card work after return? Where did You bought the Intel 7260AC + BT 4.0, FRU #04W3814?

Mine have Centrino WiFi, it is stable, but there is no performance at all.

Sundance
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,547
Message 12 of 20

@jb1146 wrote:

Here is the Intel 7260AC + BT 4.0, FRU 04W3814

intel7260lenovo.JPG

Anybody know if this will work on the Y410p as well? Pretty much the same issue, amazing laptop but the wifi card is it's achilles heel. I've never had a problem with wifi cards till now so I'm not really sure how to tell what replacements would be compatible.

Just realized this thread is pretty ancient. Sorry.

pintozack
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,535
Message 13 of 20

jb1146 posted awhile back (perhaps on another thread) that this doesn't even work in the Y510p.  

In fact, I haven't posted here myself, but I did want to write that this is conclusively a dead issue.  In speaking with people on the inside at Lenovo, there is NO opportunity to get a dual band card in the Y510p.  Summary:

• None of the dual band cards listed in the tech manual are actually commercially available
  • No dual band cards other than those listed will work (due to whitelisting in Lenovo BIOS)
  • This includes FRU for other systems, such as this, which is for ThinkPad systems; not usable on IdeaPad systems
  • Lenovo certifies their laptops with the FCC and has no interest in allowing you to swap out the wireless card, creating a "non-compliant" device

Sundance
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,489
Message 14 of 20

So short answer; there's no way to upgrade the Wifi card at all? If so that is disappointing, as it's pretty terrible. My Dell from 2008 has a faster card, and it was cheaper

pintozack
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,484
Message 15 of 20

@Sundance, yes, unfortunately, that's true.  For some reason, Lenovo cares about certifying notebook builds with the FCC and insists on not letting you alter your own equipment.  I have received no good answer from them as to why they would care and - truly - spend additional resources on their part to govern this.  Indeed, my wife has a Dell notebook from last year and I was able to swap in a dual-band wi-fi card that I picked up from NewEgg with about 5 minutes of effort.

I guess to be fair, there are the following options:

- Modify your BIOS to remove the whitelist and void your warranty in the process, but join the many on TechInferno who are happy with the results

- Buy a USB wi-fi stick, all the dual-band versions of which I have found are ridiculously large

- Go to Monoprice and purchase a cheap 100' ethernet cable and walk around the house with it, knocking over home decor and small children in the process

Sundance
Blue Screen Again
Views: 15,478
Message 16 of 20

Thanks for the reply. Wow, not letting me alter my laptop...that's the number one reason I go for Windows and not Mac. That's disappointing. I literally just got my laptop back today from Lenovo Repair after something power related on the main board blew. Six months into my warranty; they checked everything else for problems while they were at it, and I have six months left.

I might just go ahead and try the BIOS option, then, and hope I can get another solid six months without anything happening that would make me regret losing my warranty.

MrDenton
Paper Tape
Views: 15,136
Message 17 of 20

Moderator Note; subject edited; post merged in. Was; Getting a New Wi-Fi Card for Y510p

I got this laptop back in early February and I can honestly say that I would be a much happier person if this wi-fi card wasn't so abysmal. The overall performance is great but the constant dropouts have nearly driven me to madness!

I have tried seemingly every fix (install new drivers, change the drivers, etc.) and they work for about a day and then the connections start dropping out once again. I don't want to return it because I've got wayyyyyyy too many valuable things on it and I wish to get a new wifi card.

I'm aware that I'll most likely need to do some meddling and void my warranty but I'm simply too mad to care.

Currently, I'm running Windows 8.1 and have the Intel Wireless-N 7260, the card my laptop came with. I've heard good things about its brother, the AC 7260, and I want to know if anyone can confirm that it is a much better card, even better if someone also has the card with the same laptop as me.

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,107
Message 18 of 20

7260AC is only stable and very fast @ 5 GHz band AC. 7260's 5 GHz range is very impressive as it's better than my ASUS PCE-AC56 network adapter. 2.4 GHz is okay but it does slow down to dial up speeds at that band especially if you're at RF congested place. SInce 2.4 GHz stability is a big deal for me, i replaced the 7260 on my Lenovo Y470 with the ASUS instead.

You can read more about people's 7260AC experience here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/networking-wireless/716325-intel-7260-a-48.html

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
extremejohn
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,216
Message 19 of 20

I used the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 6235ANHMW Wlan Bluetooth 4.0 Half MINI Card 802.11 a/b/g/n Dual-band 300 Mbps as the replacement card for my Lenovo y510p. Amazon Link

Steps to White list the Newly installed network card in the BIOS. Follow Steps : Guide

MarquisPhoenix2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 967
Message 20 of 20

Hi, do you have a downloadable file of it?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors