cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
Cole52
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎05-25-2016
Location: US
Views: 22,291
Message 1 of 13

Usb boot option not coming in uefi mode

I am trying to install windows 7 64 bit. my hardisk partion type is gpt. But, Usb boot option is not coming in UEFI boot mode.

If I select Legecy support boot option, then usb option comes, but i want to install win 7 64 bit in uefi.

I have already created the bootable usb in gpt uefi mode using diskpart as mentioned in other topics. Also tried with rufus.

 

Bios settings:

Lenovo g50 70

Security boot : disabled

Boot mode: uefi

Fast boot: disabled

Usb boot: enabled

Os optimized defults: other os.

Hard disk format: gpt

 

When I boot, only "EFI PXE Network" option comes. No boot from usb option

Please help

Thanks

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 22,236
Message 2 of 13

Re: Usb boot option not coming in uefi mode

I'm assuming that the pre-installed OS is Win 8 or higher and you are installing Win 7 64 bit in UEFI. Refer to the following guide. You may have to change some of the steps to adapt it to your case. Refer to C step and try option 1. If it fails you can do option 2.

UEFI win 7 installation.JPG

Cole52
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎05-25-2016
Location: US
Views: 22,223
Message 3 of 13

Re: Usb boot option not coming in uefi mode

Hi LenBlazer,

 

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I had windows 8 installed but that drive is formatted now.

 

As I have data on other drive, so I dont want to delete the partition.

 

When I change the boot mode to Legecy and try to boot from usb... I got message saying "windows cannot be installed as disk type is gpt".

When I change boot mode to UEFI, option for usb in boot menu is not coming.

I have already set usb boot to enable.

 

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 22,216
Message 4 of 13

Re: Usb boot option not coming in uefi mode


@Cole52 wrote:

Hi LenBlazer,

 

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I had windows 8 installed but that drive is formatted now.

 

As I have data on other drive, so I dont want to delete the partition.

 

When I change the boot mode to Legecy and try to boot from usb... I got message saying "windows cannot be installed as disk type is gpt".

When I change boot mode to UEFI, option for usb in boot menu is not coming.

I have already set usb boot to enable.

 


First of all in your first post there was no mention that the hdd where you want Win 7 to be installed contain any data. So this can make the process a little bit complicated compared to a clean install which is what is being given in the guide.

Secondly is the error message that Win 7 can't be installed in a gpt disk. Check your Win 7 installer. Does it comply with the requirement in installing in UEFI? As far as I know it must be a Win 7 64 bit. There might be some other requirement but I can't recall them since I have done it a very long time ago.

 

To make things easier rather than forcing a solution to the issue do a clean install using the guide given earlier. Before doing that make a backup of the data. It is easier and safer to backup the data rather that installing the OS with the data in the hdd and without any backup at all.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Posts: 2,379
Registered: ‎03-08-2012
Location: CA
Views: 22,214
Message 5 of 13

Re: Usb boot option not coming in uefi mode

I am just thinking its not supported at all in UEFI booting via USB.

Going back 3 OS generations is going to be an exercise and the system will not perform as well. Win 8.1 is faster and solid now. I haven't run into many issues with Win10 which I migrated to slowly.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 22,212
Message 6 of 13

Re: Usb boot option not coming in uefi mode


@tripplec wrote:
I am just thinking its not supported at all in UEFI booting via USB.

Going back 3 OS generations is going to be an exercise and the system will not perform as well. Win 8.1 is faster and solid now. I haven't run into many issues with Win10 which I migrated to slowly.

I have installed my Win 7 64bit in UEFI mode several times in the past. I know that during those times people do not appreciate UEFI or maybe does not know about it yet and insisted on using the regular bios which requires the disk to mbr but I did not. I use instead gpt which is what my system is also capable of. Even at present there are still others who still prefer the old bios way.

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Posts: 2,379
Registered: ‎03-08-2012
Location: CA
Views: 22,206
Message 7 of 13

Re: Usb boot option not coming in uefi mode

Well I know my T520 was MBR under Win 7 and I did the upgrade to Win 10 which of course is still MBR. Bios was set for dual support by default and I never changed it when I looked in there. If doing a clean install I suppose its the way to go on new systems. Most of the support on the T520 were legacy driver migrated when looking at device manager. Doing a clean install would have been hell on wheels getting it all going again. Its working and good enough for me.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Cole52
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎05-25-2016
Location: US
Views: 22,205
Message 8 of 13

Re: Usb boot option not coming in uefi mode

Clean install is the last option for me now.

Just have 2 query

1. Same as tripplec mentioned: does uefi booting supports usb/dvd boot. Because when I select UEFI, only "EFI PXE network" option comes. No usb or dvd.

2. While selecting Legecy with uefi first, I am getting message 'windows cannot be installed in gpt disk'. That means my installer is wrong. 

I am trying to install window 7 64 bit which has efi and boot folders.

I have created bootable usb using method mentioned here

 

http://blog.powerbiz.net.au/fixes/using-diskpart-to-create-a-bootable-usb-of-windows-8/

 

I even used rufus software to create bootable usb with uefi gpt fat32 format. Still getting the same error. Where  I did wrong?

Guru
Posts: 3,429
Registered: ‎04-02-2014
Location: MX
Views: 22,200
Message 9 of 13

Re: Usb boot option not coming in uefi mode

As far as my experience goes,

 

1) You cannot install Win 7 in UEFI mode, it wont recognize the USB.

 

2) To have the USB recognized, you need to set the Mode to Legacy and the Priority to Legacy First.

 

If you are still getting the error, then you DO NEED a CLEAN INSTALL.

There are no 2 ways around it. (as far as I know)

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Posts: 5,332
Registered: ‎05-09-2013
Location: US
Views: 22,192
Message 10 of 13

Re: Usb boot option not coming in uefi mode


@Cole52 wrote:

Clean install is the last option for me now.

Just have 2 query

1. Same as tripplec mentioned: does uefi booting supports usb/dvd boot. Because when I select UEFI, only "EFI PXE network" option comes. No usb or dvd.

2. While selecting Legecy with uefi first, I am getting message 'windows cannot be installed in gpt disk'. That means my installer is wrong. 

I am trying to install window 7 64 bit which has efi and boot folders.

I have created bootable usb using method mentioned here

 

http://blog.powerbiz.net.au/fixes/using-diskpart-to-create-a-bootable-usb-of-windows-8/

 

I even used rufus software to create bootable usb with uefi gpt fat32 format. Still getting the same error. Where  I did wrong?


Comment for !: Yes it does in other brands except for Lenovo. Perhaps a reprogramming of the bios is needed. The guide given is only for Lenovo units and not for other brands. In other brands booting in usb with UEFI mode is as natural as booting any device in usb. There is no need to change anything to Legacy which required for Lenovo units.

 

Comment for 2: That may be the only reason I can think of since my Win 7 installer is capable of installing in a UEFI mode or the ordinary bios mode.

 

Check out current deals!


Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors