Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patdeane
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,204
Message 1 of 6

Use of C and D drives on 3000 Y410 notebook

My C drive has 29 GB capacity, the D drive has 105 GB.  My understanding is that C is for recovery and D is for user data.  Since I have owned this machine (4 months) however, all program files and data and all user data have automatically been written to C.  Now I have 8 GB free on C and all 105 GB on D.  This seems wrong.  Should I move the folders "Program Files", "Program Data", and "Users" to D drive?  Will there be problems if I do?  Thanks.
ckhown
Punch Card
Views: 2,198
Message 2 of 6

Re: Use of C and D drives on 3000 Y410 notebook

Dear user,

For my suggestion,
It's not recommended u move c:\program files manually, it will causes your system may be un-stable and may be effect your OS too if you moved manually.

You can move your Program by  uninstall the programs u want to move to D and u re-install it and please customize it install to D:\program files\xxxx     this will be no problem.

For my recommendation, next time if u do partition, may be may partition it at ration 50% / 50%.
Nicholas K.H.Chai
Malaysia
YM: ckhown
rsnorris
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,160
Message 3 of 6

A little clarification -- it's Lenovo that setup the partitions that way. 

feedback to Lenovo: I like the concept, but they ought to improve ...

1) give more than 30GB for the C partition.  By default, programs install to C.  Many users forget or don't know how to switch to D.

2) Windows (different versions) all tend to point to C drive for user data (ie: "Documents and Settings" or "Users" folders).  That is dumb, because the novice users end up storing it there anyway and D goes unused.  If I recover the C partition, then user data is gone.  I don't know if Lenovo can change that default -- I suspect probably, but who knows if Microsoft supports that. 

rsnorris
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,157
Message 4 of 6

Quoting:
For my recommendation, next time if u do partition, may be may partition it at ration 50% / 50%.

Yes, ideally, but the problem is that the one key recovery would no longer work if you change the size of the C partition.  I guess that's more feedback for Lenovo -- a little more options to rebuild the service partition would be nice. 

Retired Guru
Views: 2,147
Message 5 of 6

If you buy a car you must know how to drive it properly. You don't need to know how the motor works or how to disassembly it up to the final screw-nut, but you must know how to use windscreen wiper or to turn headlights on.
The same problem here - you don't need to know how to disassembly notebook, but you must know how to drive it properly. It's not Microsoft's fault that you don't know all that - Microsoft's fault that there's a policy of on-one-disc-OS as far as we can see. It's YOUR data and YOU must know where to store it and how to prevent it's erasing.

My advise - make on disk D folders named "music", "video" and so on and store your files there. Or just relocate the place which link of "My Documents" reffers to. Make it a place on a disk D, so in case of recovering OS you'll not lose all your documents.
//help will save the world
keast56
What's DOS?
Views: 800
Message 6 of 6

but microsoft forever has used partitions on a single drive to store recovery files

but it has always been c (root drive) that has programs and documents with it being the larger of the two--c and d

now lets go bass akwards and take gears  1, 2, 3,4 and reverse the pattern of these

so reverse now is gear 1 gear 4 is two and so on

well that is what they have done to unsuspecting drivers that have been using microsoft forever

we all drive cars and they havent reversed the gears so we dont expect it and ---yes ASSUME that all is the same so we shift into first gear by faith that this transmission is the same

so now many people have been getting on their new computers and driving just as they used to and dont realize that microsoft has switched gears on them and c is full now ,and that is where microsoft put the program files and by default it is where the computer stores user data entered

no where in my books ----that yes i did read-------said oh by the way you need to store your files on d drive or you will run out of room on c

i also read my new car booklet totally to see if they had change anything from (the norm) so i could be prepaired for anything.

so it is my opinion (and you know everyone has one) that microsoft is lax on this subject  because now you have 100,000 people with full c drives and nothing on d drive

oh well huh 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors