cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itdoesntmatter
Paper Tape
Views: 366
Message 1 of 4

Very slow boot even with SSD (Lenovo Z50-75) Why so slow?

Hello ! Booting time is very slow on Lenovo Z50-75. Please keep in mind that i am not a desperate kid that wants the impossible. I am an advanced user with years of experience regarding O.S. installation and utilization. Long story short:

# Laptop specs:

- CPU : FX7500

- RAM : 8GB 1600Mhz

- HDD : SSD Kingston A400

# I have tested with different O.S and different scenarios regarding the drivers.

# Scenario 1:

- Windows 7 64bit + Drivers from the Lenovo website for the specific model.

- Boot Time : ~2 minutes

# Scenario 2:

- Windows 10 Home + Drivers from the Lenovo website for the specific model.

- Boot Time: ~2 minutes

# Scenario 3:

- Windows 10 Enterprise - without drivers

- Boot Time: ~ 15 seconds

# Scenario 4:

- Windows 10 Home + drivers installed from windows update

- Boot Time: 1 minute + 40 seconds

# Scenario 5:

- Windows 10 Home + latest drivers from the website

- Boot Time: 1 minute + 35 seconds

What's going on here? I am not saying that Windows should boot in 3 seconds. i am not absurd. But 1 minute + 34 seconds is an eternity, specially for a SSD. Please keep in mind that i have tested the same scenarios with a classic HDD, and the booting times were much slower than the booting times with the SSD. Both hdd and ssd are healthy, there are no bad sectors. The SSD is new.

The fastest boot time scenario was on Windows 10 but with NO drivers installed. After i have installed the drivers, hell unleashed. Kepp in mind that i have tried the display driver from lenovo website, also with display drivers from amd website. Not in the same time of course, in different scenarios. As soon as i install the drivers, everything goes to "slowland". This is not normal. What are your boot times ?

itdoesntmatter
Paper Tape
Views: 305
Message 2 of 4

Re: Very slow boot even with SSD All the drivers properly installed! Why?

I have made several tests with Linux also. I have installed a few Linux Distros (deepin,bunsenlabs,pearl,LXLE) , one at the time of course, i didn't want to make triple boot or dual boot, i wanted to see how it runs on a clean Linux install.

# Boot times:

- Deepin = 1m + 50s

- bunsenlabs = 1m +30s

- Pearl Linux = 58s

- LXLE = 1m +20s

It's kind of weird, specially on LXLE. I was suspected that LXLE would be the fastest when it comes to boot (loading times). When i have tried to boot LIVE LXLE 12.04 32bit, the boot time was 33seconds.

I believe it has something to do with the drivers modules. Someone said he has solved by installing the SATA drivers, because the "new" AMD Radeon gpu driver didnt install the sata, therefore the slow boot time. If he's right, then it means the lenovo drivers are the problem. The SATA drivers were supose to be the first critical driver to install (chipset drivers). Nobody had this problem? Anybody ?

itdoesntmatter
Paper Tape
Views: 274
Message 3 of 4

Re: Very slow boot even with SSD (Lenovo Z50-75) Why so slow?

I forgot to mention. I have tried also GPT style and MBR style. No difference, the booting times are huge as you can see in the first post.

And AHCI was selected as default from the begining. And regarding Windows, i have tried different versions of Windows 10.

This is so weird. I have seen so many "older" platforms booting Windows and Linux faster than this Lenovo laptop.

itdoesntmatter
Paper Tape
Views: 265
Message 4 of 4

Re: Very slow boot even with SSD (Lenovo Z50-75) Solution !

I have managed to reduce the boot time for Windows 10 by changing the standard SATA driver.

Step #1:

- I went to amd.com , to Drivers & Support: Chipsets --> AMD 7-Series Chipsets --> 760G --> AMD Chipset Drivers 18.10.0830 (for Win10 64bit)

Step #2:

- Extract the file AMD Chipset Drivers 18.10.0830.exe with 7zip

Step #3:

- Open Device Manager, select Standard SATA controller, Right-click on it, and choose Update Driver Software and choose Browse my Computer for driver

Step #4:

- Select the path of extracted folder--> amd-chipset-drivers_18.10_0830\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv

- and click Next

- It should say "Your driver was updated..."

Step #5:

- Restart Windows

Now Windows 10 boot time is around ~25 ~28 seconds. I believe this ~20 ish seconds for a SSD is more adequate than the previous times.

PS1: It is strange because every time i have tried to update or install the SATA driver via Windows Update, i got the success mesage but the boot time was slow as hell. So i guess the integrated SATA drivers from Windows update are bad for this amd chipset.

PS2: I couldn't fix it for Windows 7, even if i have manually updated the AMD Sata driver from 2013 version to 2015 version, the boot time remained the same.

Windows 10 Boot Time:

- Before: 1minute + 30seconds

- After : 28 seconds

Windows 7 Boot Time:

- Before: 2 minutes

- After: 1minute + 37seconds

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors