Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kennyCusine
Token Ring
Views: 1,556
Message 1 of 9

Vista (Bussiness 32) BSOD

Read the end if you do not wish to hear my hypothesis for the causes and background information. 

System: Lenovo Y510 

I've been getting the BSOD ever since the SP2 came out, although now it's more frequent than before. I've rolled out the situation of it being a memory leak, as this BSOD occurs occasionally 4 minutes after start-up, most often the crash is associated with google chrome. Normally, I'd just format the computer and start new but I have too much valuable data and I'm overseas so I don't have access to many of my formal utilities. 

I can't get the hexadecimal code at the crash time (it is different from the stop code in big letters, there are 3 independent hexadecimal numbers, probably linked to memory addresses) because it happens too fast and too randomly but I do get these messages upon startup and I have no idea as to what they mean or where to begin looking. 

BCCode: 50 
BCP1: FFFFF823 
BCP2: 00000000 
BCP3: 9D665236 
BCP4: 00000000 
OS Version: 6_0_6002 
Service Pack: 2_0 
Product: 256_1 

I've checked the device manager to see if all drivers were installed for all the devices. All devices have been working excellently for a long time, but just in case they are not how would I check that? 

It may be worthy to mention that I'm residing in South Korea, a nation known for being forced to stick to Windows XP and Internet Explorer for security reasons and poor implementation of their internet protocols. I have recently installed some mandatory Korean applications for banking, my g/f however has recently installed plenty of games and applications that seem to function properly, however they could have changed some system files inappropriate to the OS. 

Highlight: 

How do I check if the Vista system files are corrupt (I have no access to a vista cd)? How do I check if all hardware is functioning properly? Is it possible this is a virus or some other malware? I can post a hijackThis log. Although I have seen it, read it, and am pretty sure that I know where everything came from with the exception of some Korean programs. 

Some insight and reassurance is what I need. Thanks
LTechieGuy
Punch Card
Views: 1,534
Message 2 of 9

Re: Vista (Bussiness 32) BSOD

1) How old is this computer?

2) Call up tech support they will at least be able to test to see if you are having bad memory issues or possibly narrow down if it's your motherboard

3) If you feel that this is a software issue with your system (and it doesn't seem like its pointing in that direction) backup your data to an external drive / device and then do the One Key Recovery (with a tech on the phone, they can walk you through the process)

kennyCusine
Token Ring
Views: 1,530
Message 3 of 9

The computer is 1 year old.

Calling tech-support will not work for me since I'm in Korea.

I have changed from the standard home edition to business while also having changed my partition settings so that one-key recovery will not work, nor do I want home vista reinstalled.

Yes, I feel that this is a software issue, however, if there are any software utilities to check my hardware it would be of great help to know their names.

I will use a memory tester now and post the results. 

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,524
Message 4 of 9

Kennycusine,

You can use vista's built in system diagnostics to narrow down the issue.If its a hardware issue vista will let you know.

http://www.petri.co.il/images/performance-reliability-08.JPG

Use the "generate health report" and let vista check your hardware.If it has and redexclamation marks with any of the hardware you may want to check it out.

What message do you get in the BSOD?not the hexadecimal value,but the exception the OS throws when an error occurs.something like "IRQ_MORE_ORLESS" or "UNMOUNTABLEBOOT VOLUME"?.

If you want to note down the error this time,go to system properties and deselect the option in error reporting "Automatically restart my system" 

.If you can give me details about what exactly the error message is,i can search for solutions in microsoft support.

Hope this info helps you 

Message Edited by vijaysaradhi on 07-27-2009 09:17 PM
Note from Moderator:  Image(s) >50k converted to link(s).
Message Edited by JaneL on 07-27-2009 01:19 PM
kennyCusine
Token Ring
Views: 1,499
Message 5 of 9

Skip to the end for direct questions. 

Thanks 

Okay, it passed the memory tests.  Using memtest86+

The system health report looked really normal. The only fail was due to my disabling the annoying UAC in security center.

Have you ever heard of a PC getting BSOD because it's been running to long (not memory leaks) but more from an overheating standpoint. I feel like the crashes are possibly due long exposure to intense calculations causing heat. 

For example - sometimes my g/f will play a game for 8 hours causing the graphics card to heat up, when she finishes the game sometimes the resolution on the computer has lowered itself, I'm guessing it's due to the heat and stress.

Could running a hot computer cause BSOD? This just crossed my mind, I use the rightmark utility to lower the voltage of the cpu and the cpu does not go above 68 C while running vista under any circumstance, it idles at 55 C in summer 45 C in winter and averages about 60 C using applications and games. I don't think the undervolting is causing BSOD because I've run this computer with the same settings with rightmark for a year. Just in case though, I'll slightly increase the voltage.

As always, I'll report progress. Next time I crash, I'll write down the error codes and hexadecimal.

Can overheating cause BSOD?

Can running a processor for extended periods of time cause BSOD (no memory leaks or problems)?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,491
Message 6 of 9

Yes some times overheating of the processor may cause BSOD's
kennyCusine
Token Ring
Views: 1,415
Message 7 of 9

Okay, after a vacation and some reworking of the OS I have had another blue screen and here's the error message.

A clock interval was not recieved on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval.

Hex: 00000101 (00000061, 00000000, 803D1120, 00000001) 

Everything else was normal BSOD stuff. 

So, from the sound of the message, I'm thinking that this is a processor related issue. Since this is my first laptop and since I havn't bought a computer in 8 years, I'm guessing that this is the second core of the processor. Am I wrong? If not, does this mean it's going bad?

On a side note, how hard is it to remove and replace the processor on a laptop? I've assembled PC's billions of times, but laptops have much smaller components, if the CPU is hard to access than I'll probably have to leave it alone, I don't have much more than a screw driver set here in Korea.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,337
Message 8 of 9

Kennycusine,

Even before i could respond to your post you sent me a PM.please remember that i donot work for lenovo and it is not my compulsion to post here.I will only answer if i have a possible solution,I sent you a PM check it.Please have some patience when waiting for solutions from others.

Message Edited by vijaysaradhi on 08-14-2009 12:23 PM
crazyman62
Punch Card
Views: 1,317
Message 9 of 9

remove and reinstall the RAM of the system

if you would like you can call lenovo tech support and they can guide you on how to do so.

that should fix your issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors