Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Merk7
Paper Tape
Views: 219
Message 1 of 4

WORST SUPPORT - Quick Launch Icons Show as Windows Default

Earlier this month I purchased my first Lenovo, an IdeaPad Y700-14. Some icons added to the Quick Launch area of task bar show up as default white folders. (A few, namely CyberGhost and MS Edge show up fine.) If clicked, the white folders change to the correct icon (e.g., Word, Excel) but they revert after boot. I finally called Lenovo support today and, without any troubleshooting, was told that I need to reset my machine to factory defaults.

This is the worst, and laziest, support advice I've ever received. You tell a customer who has just spent dozens and dozens of hours setting up a new machine that they need to start over? Without any troubleshooting whatsoever? And with no guarantee that it will work? 

I have learned my lesson about Lenovo products and Lenovo support. If I do reset the machine, it will be to return it to Costco after I purchase a different brand of computer. So glad for Costco's outstanding return policies! 

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 214
Message 2 of 4

Re: WORST SUPPORT - Quick Launch Icons Show as Windows Default

What OS are you running?

Try rebuilding the Icon Cache.

rebuild ICON cache

In the past on win 7, the Icons would get messed up after certain program installs.

I have rebuilt my icon cache using the above link and it works. 

Merk7
Paper Tape
Views: 202
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for taking the time to assist. After my poor experience with Lenovo, I found the exact link you provided. I tried both the .bat file and command line methods suggested in that post, but neither solved my problem. The placeholder folders still appear in Quick Launch. Since Quick Launch is hidden in Windows 10, it seems like Microsoft just doesn't want it used. (If anyone else is interested, you can add it by following these instructions.)

Thanks again for your help!

Merk7
Paper Tape
Views: 168
Message 4 of 4

I solved the icon problem.  I'm not sure why I thought of this but I thought that maybe the icons I was dragging to the Quick Launch toolbar from the Start Menu were the problem. So I used File Explorer to create a shortcut on my desktop for each program I wanted to place in Quick Launch. Then I dragged these 'new' shortcuts to Quick Launch. Voila!  It worked and has remained working after several reboots.

I hope this solution helps somebody else.

And I hope Lenovo takes stock of its miserable tech support and will reconsider its knee-jerk advice to reinstall the operating system as a fix for a problem they cannot easily figure out. In this case, I am not even sure that such a 'reset' would have solved the problem, but I am sure it would have cost me dozens of hours reinstalling software and recreating customizations.

Merk

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors