cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wismas
What's DOS?
Views: 3,285
Message 1 of 4

WWAN and wireless card BIOS whitelists? Lenovo, COME ON.

I don't want to rehash all the runaround and reasons why Lenovo decided to join with HP to use "whitelists" for wifi cards which is discussed here:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/WWAN-and-wireless-card-BIOS-whitelists-Lenovo-COME-ON...

The fact comes down to this:

Lenovo do not sell any models with top of the line Intel Wireless AC cards like the Intel  Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.

If Lenovo don't want to get into the certification issue, there is a very simple way to help out your customers who need the AC band for whatever reason.

Put out an optional BIOS for your products that do not contain the white list.

Or put out a BIOS patch utility that let us do the patch ourselves.

Heck, the BIOS or patch utility can even be "leaked" to reputable download sites.

The whitelist do not really stop any of us who know how to hack the Phoenix BIOS, but it just lowers the value of the Lenovo brand to the people who are most willing to pay a premium for an upgradeable product --- gamers and hobbyists.

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,278
Message 2 of 4

Re: WWAN and wireless card BIOS whitelists? Lenovo, COME ON.

So far, the only Lenovo model that can be upgraded to genuine Intel 7260AC (no FRU part needed) without hacking the BIOS is the Yoga 2 Pro. At least Lenovo gives users the ability to do that with the Y2P.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 3,248
Message 3 of 4

@wismas wrote:

The fact comes down to this:

Lenovo do not sell any models with top of the line Intel Wireless AC cards like the Intel  Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260.

Au Contraire

Lenovo has many systems, that you can configure with the 7260 AC WiFi card, and lots of other configurable upgrades. Take the ThinkPad X1 Carbon:

I did this extreme X1 configuration to prove a point. You can get what you want, if you know how to go about it.

X1Carbon.PNG

Plus, if you know how to use your phone, you can call the Lenovo sales division, and find out what options are available in any system that you would like explore, The problem is not that Lenovo has a BIOS WiFi card whitelist. The problem is most users are hung up on CPU/GPU numbers, so they can brag about their benchmark scores on some gamer forum. They also want the biggest, meanest SSD that they can find, to wow their buddies with a 2 second boot.

It's been my experience that most buyers, use various reseller websites, to get the most powerful machine, at the lowest possible price. They get intoxicated click-happy, when they find a unit, for what they see as a steal. Then when the laptop arrives, they complain about some aspect they overlooked in their click euphoria.

Lenovo is in the manufacturing business. When you call them, looking to place a order, they will build you the system you want.  You should never order a preconfigured, or prebuilt machine, if it doesn't have every component that makes you happy, and you can live with.

Of course, if you're looking at instant gratification, and you want your laptop yesterday, it's better to order using one-click at Amazon Prime. For those of you that appreciate a custom built laptop, that has everything you want in it, you don't mind a little wait while it's being built.

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

wismas
What's DOS?
Views: 3,228
Message 4 of 4

Looking at the responsesI got here, it is almost laughable.

The core reason why IBM took the market by storm decades ago was because they had an open architecture including the XT (then AT) bus.

Customers can upgrade their machines to their hearts content.   

Add more RAM, try another graphics card, buy a multifunction (RAM, ports, etc.) card, game controllers, etc.

Fast forward to the ex IBM division under Chinese management, and next, they take on all the bad habits of closing out the system like this senseless whitelist.

Guess what?  I don't care to order the machine I want in 3 years because I have no idea what I might want.

Wireless AC did not exist 2 years ago except as a spec and proposed standard.

No doubt it will be, in due course, supplanted by better equipment that I will want to try out.

What Lenovo did with this senseless policy is to cut out the upgrade path --- and basically telling me to throw out this machine and get a new one if I want one feature that it did not come with?

Well why stop at Wifi cards?

Do what Gateway did once with proprietary memory (where is Gateway now)?

Lock up up the hard drive too --- whitelist that!

Don't forget, proprietary mice, USB devices, and especially wouldn't some unapproved USB stick or SD card being inserted.   Make them all proprietary.   Look at how far Sony got with their memory stick.    Heard of Sony PCs?

Or try another neat trick, like the Dell proprietary chargers that checks for it being a real Dell part before it charges the battery!

While we are are at it, why not a proprietary version of firmware that prohibit unauthorized OS like Linux from being run?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors