cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EddyW
Paper Tape
Views: 249
Message 1 of 4

Want to downgrade Lenovo Y5070 to windows 7. Is it safe?

Hi, I want to downgrade to windows 7 because windows 10 has been too unstable for me when using various old audio hardware and software that doesn't have windows 10 drivers (and probably never will). I want to go back to windows 7 because it was alot more stable for me.

I understand because the partition type is different for windows 10 I need to clear all partitions and start from scratch. So I have a few questions..

-Has anyone done this recently do he windows 7 drivers for the y5070 work ok? I heard about some problems with the intel video driver.

-Will I be able to restore it with the windows 10 and lenovo drivers easily if I change my mind? There seems to be alot of small partitions that come with this setup for windows, recovery etc, would these be able to be restored automatically?

-My laptop came with windows 10 preinstalled, if I want to go back how will I activate it again, I cant see a serial key anywhere.

Thanks for any advice you an give!

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 222
Message 2 of 4

Re: Want to downgrade Lenovo Y5070 to windows 7. Is it safe?

@EddyW wrote:

-Will I be able to restore it with the windows 10 and lenovo drivers easily if I change my mind? There seems to be alot of small partitions that come with this setup for windows, recovery etc, would these be able to be restored automatically?

-My laptop came with windows 10 preinstalled, if I want to go back how will I activate it again, I cant see a serial key anywhere.

I have an Ideapad 500-15ISK, and after a trial install of Windows 7, I wanted to re-instate the original Windows 10.  I booted the Windows 10 Recovery USB drive that I had created previously, and Windows 10 was re-installed.  However...

None of the Lenovo-specific partitions was recreated.  Originally I had seven partitions:

(1) SYSTEM_DRV

(2) Microsoft Reserved

(3) WINDOWS

(4) LENOVO

(5) WINRE_DRV

(6) LENOVO_PART

(7) LRS_ESP

After restoring Windows 10 from the Recovery USB drive, only partitions (1), (2), (3), and (5) were present; partitions (4), (6), and (7) were missing.  Does this matter?  I don't know, as I don't know what those partitions are for.  As it happens, I had previously created images of all of the partitions using a "System Rescue" live Linux CD, so I was able to restore all 7 partititons from those images.

As regards activation, if your laptop has already been activated for Windows 10, Microsoft remembers that, and a re-install of Windows 10 will be re-activated automatically the first time that you connect to the internet.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

EddyW
Paper Tape
Views: 206
Message 3 of 4

Can you point me to a guide to how to make recovery cds for these partitions? And then how to use them if I want to in the future?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 198
Message 4 of 4

@EddyW wrote:

Can you point me to a guide to how to make recovery cds for these partitions? And then how to use them if I want to in the future?

"System Rescue" is a small Linux operating system.  You download a CD image of it, burn it to a CD, and that gives you a CD that you can boot from your CD/DVD drive.  This is the website:

http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage

To backup your partitions, you boot the CD, and use some Linux programs to create compressed images of your partititions on a USB hard drive (you don't need to use CDs or DVDs for this stage).  The problem with this is that if you have never used Linux, the procedure is not obvious.

A better solution would be for someone else to recommend a more-usable backup solution.  Anyone?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors