Did you mean: 
kandon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,216
Message 1 of 2

What exactly does the 16gb Y580 SSD do?

Well I recently purchased a Lenovo Y580 laptop: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834310661 

As you can see, it comes with a 16gb SSD. I was wondering, what exactly will this be used for? All I'm really interested in is faster boot/wake up times, I don't really need it to use any programs, but will it do that? 

I heard that it is a cache drive, and it "learns" what you use most and speeds that up. But all I really want is the OS to boot up faster and wake ups to be faster. 

Is it a hybrid drive, where the drives are together? Or are they separate and the OS is installed on the SSD? 

I would really like some help with this guys. 

Thanks

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 2,167
Message 2 of 2

Re: What exactly does the 16gb Y580 SSD do?

hi kandon,

Welcome to the Lenovo Community.

The sole purpose of the 16GB mSATA SSD is to improve system performance by caching data (it remembers your frequently accessed files for faster access). If you have Windows 7, lenovo uses Rapid Drive to combine the mSATA SSD and HDD to cache data. For Windows 8, the BIOS is "somewhat" modified to combine the two drives mSATA SSD and HDD using RAID 0 and use Intel Smart Response Technology. The OS is usually installed on the HDD and the mSATA SSD as a dedicated cache drive.

If you want to greatly speed the overall performance though, I would get a 2.5 SATA III SSD Vertex 4, and make it as a primary drive and install the Operating System and frequently accessed softwares / files there and I'll get a 2.5 SATA enclosure to use with the 1TB HDD or sacrifice your ODD by putting the HDD there by getting a 12.7mm HDD Caddy (you can get a 12.7mm ODD Enclosure to still use your ODD).

See page 39 on how to replace the HDD and page 42 on how to access the SSD compartment under the Hardware Maintenance Manual.

Note

Please backup your files before upgrading.

You can clean install your OS to the new 2.5 SSD drive using a retail copy of Windows or try this software (or a similar app) to move yuor OS and apps from your HDD to the new SATA SSD. 

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors