cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yolanda2015
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,323
Message 1 of 4

What is the difference between the D: drive partition and the Recovery partition(s)?

My 1TB HDD is partitioned like this:

Link to image

In there, I can see two (2) partitions described in their Status as "Recovery Partition": One is 1GB (1000MB)  and the other is 15.56GB.

What is the difference between the two? That is,

1. Why not only one recovery partition?
  2. Why do we need two?
  3. What do they contain?

Also, what is the difference between the 15.56GB Recoery partition and the 25GB D: drive partition?

I have seen reference to the 25GB D: drive partition as a recovery partition. Is this true? If so, why do we need another recovery partition?

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

y50zr
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,301
Message 2 of 4

Re: What is the difference between the D: drive partition and the Recovery partition(s)?

I don't have the answers to all of your questions but according to this reply:

• The D: Partition is there if you want a fresh install and you need the drivers.
  • The recovery partition is there if something went wrong (program destroyed the file system) and can be restored to the last working state.

You may also want to read the OneKey Recovery - Hot Topics page (found it through the Solutions page).

Guru
Views: 4,273
Message 3 of 4

Re: What is the difference between the D: drive partition and the Recovery partition(s)?

First an advice, if you are planning to do anything with the Recovery partition, please don't touch them. They are there to help you recover your system if everything fails.

Recovery drive has several partitions of different sizes and you can only see these in DISK MANAGEMENT.

D: is just a normal drive with some drivers and you can put your own software or files in here. It has nothing to do with recovery.

Another suggestion is to create a bootable USB drive/DVD with the Recovery option in Control Panel. This will be a backup plan in case your on system Recovery drive gets corrupted.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,268
Message 4 of 4

@yolanda2015 wrote:

My 1TB HDD is partitioned like this:

Link to image

In there, I can see two (2) partitions described in their Status as "Recovery Partition": One is 1GB (1000MB)  and the other is 15.56GB.

What is the difference between the two? That is,

1. Why not only one recovery partition?
  2. Why do we need two?
  3. What do they contain?

Also, what is the difference between the 15.56GB Recoery partition and the 25GB D: drive partition?

I have seen reference to the 25GB D: drive partition as a recovery partition. Is this true? If so, why do we need another recovery partition?

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

Here is a detail snapshot of the partitions of my unit:

OKR Partitions.JPG

According to Neokenchi: 

1.) WINRE_DRV 1000MB OEM - this is the Windows Recovery Environment - this has it's own interface / it doesn't need the 7th partition to operate
2.) SYSTEM_DRV 260MB System - check this thread
3.) LRS_ESP 1000MB OEM- The third partition is the EFI System partition which is used for data storage for the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) interface
4.) (blank) 128MB MSR - The fourth partition is the Microsoft Reserved Partition which is also used for data storage for the Globally Unique Identifier (GUID).
5.) Windows8_OS 884.2GB Primary - Windows 8 OS
6.) LENOVO 25GB Primary - this contains the Application and Drivers that are preloaded on the OS (the drivers listed on this folder are also available on the lenovo website)
7.) PBR_DRV 20GB OEM - this is your recovery partition - you will need to press the One Key Recovery button to activate this partition.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors