Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
palm_heat
Paper Tape
Views: 1,369
Message 1 of 13

What is under left palm

Hi, I use Lenovo Y510. The aluminum part under my left palm gets very hot after using this laptop for more than 3 hours. I can barely touch it. Event the plastic piece that fills the MMC card slot and express cards slot are **bleep** hot if I pull them out. So my question is if anyone knows what component is under the left palm(while typing) ? Is it wireless card ? Is it video card ?

Btw I use Ubuntu Karmic Koala

Regards,

jonny

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,351
Message 2 of 13

Re: What is under left palm

heat and noise

the y510 runs extremely quiet and in general pretty cool to the touch. the fan remained on most of the time when the notebook was plugged in and turned on frequently while the notebook was on battery power. although there was minimal warmth coming from the top of the hard drive (left palm rest) the most significant heat came from the hard drive area on the underside of the y510. that said, the heat coming from the hard drive was still less intense than what we've seen on many other 15-inch notebooks. ın short, neither heat nor noise should be much of a problem with the y510. below are images with the temperature readings listed in degrees fahrenheit:

link to picture

is number 96 what you mean?

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
palm_heat
Paper Tape
Views: 1,343
Message 3 of 13

its number 91. I think the hard drive in under 77.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,337
Message 4 of 13

you're right, hdd is under 77. ( actually 83 )

as i see from the photos ( not using y510 ) like you said there're usb ports and card reader.

probably heating is due fan cause it's near.

important : below are images with the temperature readings listed in degrees fahrenheit

palm_heat
Paper Tape
Views: 1,295
Message 5 of 13

so is this normal/abnormal ?

"important : below are images with the temperature readings listed in degrees fahrenheit" What do you mean by this ?

And how can I make it run cooler.

Thanks again.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,258
Message 6 of 13

heat and product ventilation
danger:

computers, ac adapters, and many accessories can generate heat  when turned on and when batteries are charging. notebook computers can generate a significant amount of heat due to their compact size.
always follow these basic precautions:
- when your computer is turned on or the battery is charging, the base, the palm rest, and some other parts may become hot. avoid keeping your hands, your lap, or any other part of your body in contact with a hot section of the computer for any extended length of time. when you use the keyboard, avoid keeping your palms on the palm rest for a prolonged period of time. your computer generates some heat during normal operation. the amount of heat depends on the amount of system activity and the battery charge level. extended contact with your body,
even through clothing, could cause discomfort or even a skin burn. periodically take breaks from using the keyboard by lifting your hands from the palm rest; and be careful not to use the keyboard for any
extended length of time.

- do not operate your computer or charge the battery near flammable
materials or in explosive environments. ventilation slots, fans and/or heat sinks are provided with the product
for safety, comfort, and reliable operation. these areas might inadvertently become blocked by placing the product on a bed, sofa, carpet, or other flexible surface. never block, cover, or disable these
features.

- when the ac adapter is connected to an electrical outlet and your computer, it generates heat. do not place the adapter in contact with any part of your body while using it. never use the ac adapter to warm your body. extended contact with your body, even through clothing, may cause a skin burn. for your safety, always follow these basic precautions with your computer:

- keep the cover closed whenever the computer is plugged in.

- regularly inspect the outside of the computer for dust accumulation.

- remove dust from vents and any perforations in the bezel. more frequent cleanings might be required for computers in dusty or hightraffic areas.

- do not restrict or block any ventilation openings.

- do not operate your computer inside furniture, as this might increase the risk of overheating. airflow temperatures into the computer should not exceed 35° c (95° f).

i don't know the temperature so i don't think it's right to say something about it.

if you think it's abnormal, contact lenovo support line. ( it may be serious )

palm_heat
Paper Tape
Views: 1,236
Message 7 of 13

Thanks for the info, I had never realized that the battery charging could also generate the heat. I think this problem is with me only. I can see no result on Google for Ideapad over heating nor here in forum.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,220
Message 8 of 13

i suggest you to contact lenovo support line cause it may be serious.

palm_heat
Paper Tape
Views: 1,178
Message 9 of 13

I wish, but we don't have service center here in my count...

I wish, but we don't have service center here in my country. Also its not under warranty.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,170
Message 10 of 13

Re: I wish, but we don't have service center here in my count...

is there any chance to disable card reader or usb on ubuntu?

try this, also if you're using your laptop longer, just reset it or shut it down for a couple of minutes.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors