Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Administrator
Views: 2,819
Message 11 of 37

What models of Y530 come with metal palmrest

Spamking98, et all,

We have a 4051-43U in the lab that has the brushed metal palmrest.   I'm working on your question as to which Y530 models do / do not have this feature.  I have seen variants of both.   I'll update this thread with the complete answer...

I've also edited the title of your first post, in accordance with rules of the forum. We reserve the right to rename discussions more appropriately.   Generally, I let these things stand - if you want to say support or sales, or whatever stinks, sucks, etc - that's fair - I realize you are just expressing your legitimate frustration....

But, let me ask you to think about the greater purpose of the forum which is to help solve problems, to ask questions and receive answers that collectively build value for other visitors.   When you browse thread titles looking for your particular issue - in this case, which models have the metal palm rest, aren't you more likely to click into and read the one so titled about that subject rather than some expression of frustration, "support sucks!"?

Please also keep in mind that the titles of these threads are indexed in google, so the title you choose here is potentially found and read by people who may not be a member here, or even have visited before.   If you select a title that is topical and relevant, then you help others who may have the same question and are using google, yahoo or other engine looking for that answer.

So by choosing a topical thread title, we will make the forum a more valueable resource for everyone.

Thanks,

Mark

kitkat
Punch Card
Views: 2,749
Message 12 of 37

Re: What models of Y530 come with metal palmrest

Hi Mark,

Do you have an update on which y530 models come with brushed metal and which do not?

I received a y530 with brushed metal and my friend received a y530 that was not brushed metal. (We ordered ours within two months of each other). I am really dissapointed to have received the brushed metal because I like the all black look.  The reason I bought mine was because I really liked the look, feel and performance of his y530. 

I would have never purchased my y530 if I knew it would come in brushed metal.  I also would have never purchased my y530 if I knew there would be a risk of getting brushed metal.  If I wanted something that didn't look like a Lenovo (meaning, all black - black cover, black keys, black keyboard rest), I would have ordered from Dell, HP, Sony, etc.

It feels like there should be a disclaimer when ordering y530s saying that there's no guarantee that the y530 being ordered will come with brushed metal or will not come with brushed metal.  Or at least give the customer an option of which specific y530s come with brushed metal and which do not come with brushed metal so we can make an informed decision. 

I have spoken with several Lenono representatives about this and it's been a very frustrating experiene.  One person specifically told me that what I was saying was wrong - that ALL y530s come with brushed metal.  When I tried to explain that some come with brushed metal and some do not come with brushed metal, this person flat out said that I was wrong.  And when I said that I was not the only one who has experienced this and pointed out that there are Lenovo forum posts on this subject, this person dismissed what I said and continued to reiterate that what I was saying was wrong.

Also, is there anything that can be done if one has received a brushed metal y530 and wishes to have one that is not brushed metal?  I have not even powered on my y530.  The moment I saw that it had brushed metal, I put it back in the box. I know that there is a restocking fee as well as shipping fees but it does not seem fair to punish the customer for what feels like a gamble when ordering y530s.

Your assistance is appreciated.  Thank you.

kitkat
Punch Card
Views: 2,768
Message 13 of 37

I proofread my reply before clicking "post" but it seems I missed something.

I meant, Lenovo, not Lenono.  Freudian slip, perhaps?  LOL. 

Actually, I really like Lenovos but this has not been a pleasant experience.

mandrek
Paper Tape
Views: 2,752
Message 14 of 37

I also ordered the Y530 that came with a metal palmrest.  It was definitely not expected given what I saw on the front page of Lenovo's website which showcases a Y530 with a black palmrest.  I didn't see an option for palmrest color during checkout so I'm certain I didn't goof this up.

Needless to say, this is unsatisfactory and I believe I'm entiled to a full refund or a speedy exchange.  Who may I contact to make this right?

I also uploaded a picture from the website here (in case it changes after this post): http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=anyc00020.jpg

kitkat
Punch Card
Views: 2,746
Message 15 of 37

This photo shows my y530 on the left and his y530 on the right. 

I wish I had been able to show this to the customer service representative that kept telling me I was wrong, wrong, wrong. 

http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lenovof.jpg

mandrek
Paper Tape
Views: 2,727
Message 16 of 37

Here's a picture of my face when I opened up my laptop and saw it had a metal palmrest

Smiley Sad

kitkat
Punch Card
Views: 2,661
Message 17 of 37

This post will probably be deleted but it needs to be said. 

lead_org (advisory member) & JaneL (community moderator) - please proof what you write before you post your reply.  

It does not do any of us who are legitimately looking for an answer to read your typos and accusatory language.  This is really appalling as you are supposed moderators of what the Lenovo community writes. 

lead_org in your 02-12-2009 post, you said, "the y430 i have seen all have a glossy plastic palm rest, what gave you the impression that the y530 had a brushed aluminum palm rest???" in response to Spamking98.

Did you mean to type y430?   And are THREE question marks after your sentence really necessary?  If you really needed to write your response as you did, at least make sure the point you are trying to make makes sense.  If you did mean y430, what does that have to do with what we're trying to figure out about the y530?  If you meant to type y530 instead of y430, proofread better (or at all) please.  Spamking98 also called you out on this in which you had no response.

JaneL in your 02-12-2009 post, you said, "While ipbook doesn't have a model 4051-6EU listed, all the other Y530 4051 models are described as having the aluminum palmrest.  What about your friend's palmrest makes you think its palm rest is not aluminum?  Looking at the pictures and description in ipbook, I believe that it would appear black and not silver."

I don't get it.  You wrote that the ipbook has all y530 4051 models as being described with the aluminum palmrest.  Then you contradicted yourself and said that based on the "pictures and description in ipbook", you believe the y530 would appear black, not silver.  Did you mean, the y530 would appear silver and not black?  Again, please proofread better (or at all) before posting.

JaneL in your 02-12-2009 second response post to Spamking98, you wrote, "Did you read my message above that pointed to where it's documented in ipbook?"

JaneL, are you talking about the message in which you wrote that according to description in the ipbook, the y530 comes with aluminum but then you said that you believe the the y530 would "appear black and not silver" based on the pictures you saw?

That post?  Yes, we all saw it and it did not make any sense and still doesn't make any sense.  I appreciate that you provided us with a lengthy pdf courtesy of Lenovo but I did not appreciate your misinterpretation of the document.

If you saw Spamking98's most recent post (which was conveniently deleted by lead_org), I whole heartedly agree.

Mark_Lenovo's response to Spamking98 is what I expect of all Lenovo moderators and advisors.  Mark_Lenovo acknowledges the subject at hand and says he's looking into and will respond with an update.  He then diplomatically explains why he has changed the forum subject line. 

Thanks for reading. 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,648
Message 18 of 37

I'm not sure what that brought that long screed on, but the two messages I posted that are quoted in it were attempts to help point the members to ipbook where it's documented that there are at least some models of the Y530 that come with an aluminum palmrest since that fact seemed to be in question.  After I posted that message, spamking was questioning why there was no documentation of what the palmrest was made of, and I assumed he had not seen my earlier pointer to ipbook.

Re the comment about the palmrest appearing black, does all aluminum only appear silver in color?  When I looked at the pictures, the palmrest appeared black.  That doesn't mean it isn't aluminum which is why I asked what did spamking see that indicated it wasn't aluminum.  Having never seen a Y530 myself, I have to ask questions to get information about what someone is seeing.

Re lead_org deleting spamking's last message, lead_org is not a moderator here and has no access to remove messages nor any responsibility other than a regular forum member.  The only members here with that access are clearly labeled as administrators (usernames in red) and moderators (usernames in gold)

I deleted spamking's message and lead_org's response to it because the exchange violated forum rules.

FWIW, when participating in forums, if there are messages that can be interpreted in multiple ways, one good and one bad, we'll all benefit if everyone assumes everyone else has good intentions.

Now, let's get this thread back on topic.  Further comments along this line will be removed.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

kitkat
Punch Card
Views: 2,634
Message 19 of 37

JaneL - thank you for responding to my post.  I really appreciate you clarifying what you meant in response to spamking98.  I was not aware that lead_org had responded to spamking98's post.  Based on the email notification that I received, it seemed as though lead_org had deleted the post himself, which I now know he does not have the authorization to do so.  I apologize for assuming so.

I agree, forum posts are up to the interpretation of the reader.  My rant is due to the frustration that many Lenovo representatives, etc. are dismissing Lenovo customer concerns regarding y530 palm rests.  Many of the customer sales reps that I spoke with would tell me that y530s only came/come with black palm rests.  Or they would say that y530s only came/come with brushed metal palm rests.  Or they would say that it was not possible that I had sitting in my living room one y530 with a black palm rest and the other with a brushed metal palm rest.  In essence, I was being called a liar.  These customer sales reps did not offer to look into why some y530s have black palm rests and some have brushed metal palm rests.  They asked me if there was anything else they could help me with.  

The ipbook that you provided is a useful document, however, no one that I have spoken with at Lenovo pointed me to it.  In fact, if I call the customer number right now and mention it, I almost guarantee that they will say such a document does not exist and can they help me with anything else.

Which brings me back to why I wrote my screed.  Going back and rereading the posts, it felt like I was reliving my conversations with the Lenovo customer sales reps.  We, the Lenovo customers, were/are being questioned on the validity of our concerns.  We were being told that what we were saying, what we were delivered, what we see in retail stores regarding the y530 is a figment of our imagination.  

Some reading this post as well as similar posts may wonder why I am making such a big deal about this.  It's a big deal because 1) the y530s palm rests being sent out are not consistent, 2) the Lenovo website does not specify that different y530 models come with different palm rests, 3) Lenovo customer service reps are not willing to do more than dismiss what we are saying and asking if there is anything else they can assist us with, and 4) there doesn't seem to be anyone at Lenovo (yet) who can definitively tell us which y530 models come with which palm rest... okay, I have one more reason.  5) There doesn't seem to be a remedy for those of us who received a brushed metal palm rest and wanted a black palm rest or vice versa.  Simply giving us the option to return the y530 and pay the restocking and shipping fee if we don't want it is BS.

What I (and probably many others) want is answers.  That's all.  Tell us that the website will be fixed so that future y530 buyers will not experience our same angst and frustration.  Tell us exactly which models come with which palm rest.  And tell us please, that those of us who received the palm rest we did/do not want, can exchange or return our y530 without paying a restocking or shipping fee.

Lenovo is a strong market place brand but experiences like this really tarnish Lenovo's image in the consumer's mind.  Word of mouth is and will continue to be the best form of marketing.  Please, Lenovo, make it right. 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,587
Message 20 of 37

kitkat wrote:

The ipbook that you provided is a useful document, however, no one that I have spoken with at Lenovo pointed me to it.  In fact, if I call the customer number right now and mention it, I almost guarantee that they will say such a document does not exist and can they help me with anything else.

I would be stunned speechless if the Level 1 help desk teams even know any of the *books exist.  The forums and mailing list have long depended on tbook and its successor tabook for ThinkPad details, but IBM did not advertise their existence.  I learned about them from the IBM sales rep assigned to my employer's account when I used to be involved in evaluating and purchasing systems for our use.

They're very useful for getting a good feel for what's available on pre-configured systems - not so much for CTO systems aside from being able to get a sense of what the specs are on the base systems that the CTO systems are patterned after.

You can see the entire set of *books for current and withdrawn models at http://www.lenovo.com/psref/

Jane

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors