cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lawcheehung
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,279
Message 1 of 10

When do you think the next gen of Y Series IdeaPads will be released?

I'm thinking of buying an IdeaPad Y450, but I found out that the Y Series debuted basically at the start of the 2009 year (Jan 5th, 2009), and 2009 is coming to an end in a few months time, does anybody have info. on the next gen Y series? The only thing thats holding me back from purchasing a Y450 is the thick chassis - if the new gen 14" Y series has a thinner chassis I'm willing to wait it out.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,266
Message 2 of 10

Re: When do you think the next gen of Y Series IdeaPads will be released?

Lenovo product update cycle is around 1 to 1.5 years. If you look at the previous product release dates and duration between each release, you probably can guess when the next update will occur. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
worthly
Punch Card
Views: 1,264
Message 3 of 10

I've a Lenovo Y430 for 5 months already, & I would say that this would be my first and last Lenovo laptop.

The sad thing is I've to hold on to this Y430 for another at least 2 years before I buy another laptop.

I've been to the service center 3 times, going to be 4th tml, since I bought this laptop 5 months ago.

Lawcheehung
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,247
Message 4 of 10

yea another reason why I may wait for the next generation to release is because of how many problems I've read about the Y series overheating and spontaneously shutting down but if i wait that means I may have to potentially wait over 3-8 months

Views: 1,232
Message 5 of 10

worthly here is complaining that the service center is going to charge him money, because he was infected with a virus from doing things that he shouldn't have done in the first place, which he then proceeded to reinstall the OS using an aftermarket OS. 

In this case, it is a purely user induced problem. 

Regards,

Jin Li

worthly
Punch Card
Views: 1,224
Message 6 of 10

It's not about that particular problem. Obviously you're not me and you won't know of the thoughts in me regarding Lenovo's products.

That's ONLY ONE case you know of and so, PLEASE DO NOT act like you know lots.

Going to the service center 4 times in 5 months ain't something I looked for when I bought the Laptop months back.

Please, DO NOT put words into my mouth nor help me with any.

Thank you.

However, on a positive stand,

The fan does a very good job in keeping the Laptop cool. Seldom I will feel much heat, except that when I rest it on the bed, but I guess it's logical if the laptop turns hotter this way. So overall, fan is good.

I don't know why, the laptop seems to be good in attracting dust too, but not much of a problem for this as cleaning can be done easily.

Screen is cystal clear for most of the time in different weathering conditions.

Keyboard nice to type on if nothing goes wrong on it.

Note from Moderator:  Crude and unnecessary comment removed.

Views: 1,199
Message 7 of 10

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Major-issue-with-Lenovo-Y430/m-p/159247

alright, here's my problem, I've been using Lenovo Y430 for the past 5 months going on 6. Everything had been fine till a few days ago when I got attacked by a virus which destroyed all my .exe files. No anti virus seems to be able to do their job by removing the deadly virus. I then try my luck with the One-Key recovery system, it doesn't help either. So I thought it's okay, I will just bring the laptop down to Lenovo's service center and ask them for help to re-install my Operating System ( Windows Vista Home Premium). However, when I got there, I was told by a staff that I've to pay SGD $60 to get my laptop repaired even though the laptop was under warrantly. I'm a student and hence can't afford to fork up such an amount, so i declined his offer and choose to do it myself instead.

So, i borrowed a Vista disc from my friend and installed it successfully, however, then I realized that the OS ain't working as before and wish to get rid of it.

My laptop still has the old vista on it, meaning it has two OS currently.

So, can anyone guide me on how do I remove the new vista?

This is what Worthly wrote regarding the laptop issue he faced from his first post, these are the words straight from horse's mouth. 

Regards,

Jin Li

worthly
Punch Card
Views: 1,192
Message 8 of 10

Do you yourself understand what you're driving at?

I'm pretty lost at the direction of your reply.

Or rather you don't get what I'm trying to say?

Are you perfectly fine dude?

Lawcheehung
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,181
Message 9 of 10

oh ic, i thought worthly had a physical problem with the Y450 - I'm still looking into buying this laptop

worthly
Punch Card
Views: 1,165
Message 10 of 10

that's just one issue I had with Lenovo.

As for the laptop's physical, I've a Y430, once the spacebar just pop out for nothing, unable to fix it back so brought it back to service center. As it's under warrantly, they change without charges.

Another time, out of a sudden, touchpad just won't work, again brought it back to service center, they said something was wrong with the motherboard, again, fixed without charges because it's under warrantly.

My friend has a Y450, he had issues with the adaptor/charger, after sometime of usage, the laptop just won't detect the adpator plugged in.

Other than that, all should be fine.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors