Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaXimus666
802.11n
Views: 1,186
Message 1 of 22

Why are the Lenovo Drivers ancient?

I was browsing the Lenovo Site for Drivers for my Y570 and I noticed every single driver is ancient....they are all from 2011.

The have the old Intel chipset drivers, ancient Rapid Storage Technology Drivers, Intel Mangament Engine Components ancient nVIDIA Drivers, etc....

Also, how come they don't offer their version of the Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor? all Notebook Manufacturers do?

Can someone please send my concern the to correct department nad have them update the drivers?

At least the major components which when updated, usually increase performance such as IRST or nVIDIA Drivers

PS: Here is a list of the latest Intel Drivers I compiled: http://forums.pctweakers.net/showthread.php/34-Latest-Intel-Drivers

ASUS G750JX-CV050H | i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz. | 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Hynix RAM | 256 GB LiteOn LCM-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 5400 RPM HDD | GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM | 17.3" Full HD 3D Glossy Screen
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,170
Message 2 of 22

Re: Why are the Lenovo Drivers ancient?

Already posted in the Feedback on the New Support Site, main topic thread 10-21-2011.

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/Feedback-on-the-new-support-site/Why-are-the-Y470-Drivers-amp-Downloads-s...

I too, was confused, until I realized what Lenovo was up against. Many users, perhaps >90%, who buy these machines, work with the drivers as shipped. They don't need to post in these forums. They have machines that work seamlessly on the drivers that Lenovo has provided. 

If it's not broke, don't fix it! Some non-OEM supplied drivers, only break the special functions, that Lenovo builds into their OEM version of Windows 7, as integrated in their machines. What good would it be to update a driver, only to find that it breaks some special function in the Lenovo hardware.

I've been running my Y470, pretty much on the same drivers it shipped with. Then I upgraded/updated them with Lenovo's November 2011 driver release. I predict Lenovo will have another driver release by the end of June. That's just my opinion.

I'm not a gamer, so I don't give a hoot about FPS, or GPU performance. I just want my machine to be stable, for the tons of "Real" computing I need to do. Tracking asteroids, and other types of space junk, really pushes this machine to the limit. Smiley Wink

I will admit that Lenovo only puts out drivers on their site, that their staff had a chance to modify, and test, for their “enhanced experience”. This creates some older drivers, than the ones you can find from the Intel, NVIDIA, and other driver update sites. But these Lenovo drivers simply work, with the hardware they have provided.Smiley Very Happy

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

chaoshusky
Paper Tape
Views: 1,136
Message 3 of 22

That's because Lenovo suck. Smiley Happy Wish i didn't have to say that, but it's true. Driver updates are often quite important. They probably don't affect people who just use facebook and youtube, but even then bugs can cause crashes. You can always tell if someone on a forum works for the company you don't like, they needlessly and often stupidly defend the company that continually screws customers over!

At least the phone call got us somewhere now, harder to ignore that than someone posting on a forum, isn't it?

Moderator note: inappropriate language removed.

l1
Punch Card
Views: 1,119
Message 4 of 22

@ Dragnoak,

Excellent and thoughtful reply.  I've been wondering the same thing myself.  Your answer is one that I'll buy into.  Smiley Happy

MaXimus666
802.11n
Views: 1,096
Message 5 of 22

Well I understand if it ain't broke don't fix it...but the nVIDIA driver updates and the Intel drivers especially the Intel Rapid Storage does offer a much better performance for the end user so its pretty shameful that we have to use ancient software just because it works.... many things work...but there is always room for improvement
ASUS G750JX-CV050H | i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz. | 32 GB DDR3 1600 MHz. Hynix RAM | 256 GB LiteOn LCM-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus ST1000LM024 5400 RPM HDD | GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM | 17.3" Full HD 3D Glossy Screen
velenoso666
802.11n
Views: 1,096
Message 6 of 22

@dragnoak wrote:

If it's not broke, don't fix it! 

So why does Microsoft keep sending me updates or why is it that most hardware manufacturers e.g. Nvidia, AMD to mention just two update their software some times weekly?

If you don't understand why they are indeed necessary after being a frequent computer user, there's no wonder that those with far less knowledge than you end up here asking questions which the answer of those questions could be found with a simple search.

legnum7
Punch Card
Views: 1,091
Message 7 of 22

"If it's not broke, don't fix it!"

I am sorry, but drivers, like all modern things do not work that way. 
newer is ALWAYS better in one way or another, sure there are exceptions in which better has a mistake that ruins the outcome.

Drivers on manufacturer support site must keep up with generic drivers of a component manufacturer. 

just one example. ATI CCC from their site is currently version 12.3
Lenovos ati driver for my y560 which is supposed to be gaming laptop is currently, since 16/03/2011, version 8.772
you cant even concieve how many improvements, let alone fixes happened since over a year ago.
but non gamers dont care for that. fine. it's ok. but look at it this way.
My y560 with latest ati drivers uses gpu to help cpu working with everyday stuff.  everyday stuff. surfing the web, watching videos etc.

maybe old lenovo version can do it too, but nowhere near new one can.

same goes for intel drivers on the link you posted.

Lenovo energy managment for my laptop is 2 years old and there is no generic software for that. 
That's bull. Lenovo should have made one version that fits their every laptop, it is very possible. and update it.
it's a lot of work to do this, but after it's done, everyone would praise it and it would be far simpler to update

(for lenovo and for users)  

latest lenovo power managment has some issues which were not adressed even 2 years later. 
example(s):
1.when battery reaches somewhere around 10%, it automatically switches powerplan to balanced. **bleep**?!?!
2.battery health vs power mode resets every now and then. still didnt figure out why.

I like this laptop, i really do. 
it has some weird balance of crap and quality.

it feels like it's going to fall apart and it bends when you press anything, but bottom part never bends, no matter how hard you press.

ventilation on bottom is extremely well laid out, then ruined by software not spinning the fan fast enough. 
it spinns the fan faster AFTER bios slowed down frequencies of cpu and gpu to prevent damage. i tested this by blocking the fan exaust so cpu and gpu heats even when slowed, to be sure i'm not the idiot who got things wrong. 
so it can go faster, but it wont. where is intelligence in that, can you explain? 

is it more important to muffle the fan or keep components from overheating and slowing/crashing system.
also, y560 rarely shuts down when overheating(only shuts down when overheats in games). it freezes and CONTINUES to overheat(in stress testing). i bet an improved bios can fix that.

zitnikp
Token Ring
Views: 1,081
Message 8 of 22

Hah this thread should be renamed to "trolling dragonoak's "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"". He just shared his humble opinion as the other type of user, the one that is happy with his pc the way it is. Although I can't say that I'm happy with their prehistoric drivers(yeah I asked the same question as berryracer did with this thread for about a month ago and I gave up on it after the first reply). But still..I update all the drivers manually from other factories' sites(like nvidia, intel, realtek,...) and everything works like a charm. No lenovo special functions are missing or not working properly.

My advice to you guys is to just use the drivers that can be obtained directly from the manufacturers websites(and for the intel chipset driver, do the installation as berryracer described it, otherwise nothing will change) and wait until lenovo makes a new set of drivers IF they actually make it. I wouldn't get my hopes high though.

And I seriously doubt that even if some creme de la creme by lenovo read this thread, they would think to themselves:"Oh, theres 20 different users complaining about the drivers. But still we sold about few thousand of these computers. So let's do a little math for example. A few thousand happy users up against 20 random different users that have problems with our drivers." I think that lenovo simply couldn't care less for the few of us that are eager to get some of their "Official lenovo" drivers. If not for anything else, it might be just because everyone told me that lenovo customer support is really good. And none of it was good with me, not the driver updates, not the online chat..nothing.

Anyways, let's just keep our fingers crossed and that's about as much as an "Average Joe" like me can do about it to be honest.

chaoshusky
Paper Tape
Views: 1,072
Message 9 of 22

No, the point trying to be made is it's basically because Lenovo stop supporting their products very quickly, at least in the USA it seems, far more quickly than any other OEM, perhaps with the exception of Gigabyte, whom have already stopped making newer BIOSes for the now obsolete Socket LGA1366 system i have, which is charming.

The other point is that drivers for some hardware is updated with a frequency for a reason - to fix continual bugs for new apps and games. To be honest, you'll mainly see this with graphics drivers, or when hardware is very new, and that's the main point, really. The laptop that recently died uses fairly new hardware - not only are the drivers probably not up to date (we also install regularly from the proper sites anyway) but they're also pretty **bleep** important to actually improve the user experience. But wait, Lenovo wouldn't want to do that anyway. Most OEM OS installs are terrible and slow as hell, unless it's an SSD, and even then it can be a little sluggish. That's probably why most OEMs load a ton of rubbish software that just occupies space near the clock and RAM, makes it seem slower than it is so you buy the next model sooner. Isn't capitalism wonderful? Not that i'm a communist....then we'd all have the same identical terrible laptops. Lol.

Aren't conspiracy theories fun(ny), eh? Also, what bad language? I don't remember swearing, but i'm sure my post was a bit longer. Yet you allowed 'suck' to stay, which is an offensive term. Lol. Although, it was directed at a faceless company, not a person.

chaoshusky
Paper Tape
Views: 1,071
Message 10 of 22

Also, you're not taking into account those who will buy a product and not even have the know-how to find the lenovo support site and register, so it might not be 20 people. Just take a look at support threads for graphics card drivers. The dead Z570 was considered budget gaming, so that needed updates pretty sharp-ish to give the best gameplay experience. Again though, in this case, simply go to the website of the hardware manufacturer, drivers will always be up to date there - why wait for 'Lenovo approved' ones? If Lenovo don't screw around with the hardware too much, the usual drivers from the original manufacturer's websites will work fine.

EDIT: AMD have now released Catalyst 12.4, for example. nVidia released new drivers just the other day. Even the old Conexant HD Audio codecs got driver update recently. So there really isn't any excuses. What people also forget is many users aren't savvy enough to always get the CORRECT drivers, so it's best for Lenovo to at least give them links to the correct, latest ones.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors