Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Super PM Chat

The Future of Windows Tablets

Join the conversation and share your feedback with the Lenovo Product team

Why can't I shrink partition C of my Y560p to more than 46GB?

0 Kudos
Click ►
Started ‎06-14-2012 by
Modified ‎06-14-2012 by

I have an IdeaPad Y560p, I want to shrink partition(C). It is impossible because it allows only about 46GB of HDD to shrink.

I did not see an error message.

Please help me how to shrink the C: partition to my desired capacity as I am hoping to buy a new HDD for it.

There is a limit to how much you can shrink your C: partition in your Operating System as there are immovable Window system files stored there.

One tip: Try running a defragmentation of your system before attempting to shrink the size of  your partititions.  You can use the Windows Defragmentation Program to do so. A contributor to this article suggests the use of  Puran Defrag as it can defrag your Pagefile.

Another tip contributed by our community: You may also wish to temporarily switch off your Pagefile as you want your data to be stored and continually so in the front of your partitions. A recommended resource is  GParted--Live CD, which our contributor says is 'quite good for the resizing part'. 

Note that if you use a disk image to move your data to the new HDD drive you intend to install and you have a recovery partition, make sure you do read up on how to maintain it (the recovery partition) while resizing your other partition(s) for the new disk when moving the data over.