cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mi_bro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,788
Message 1 of 11

WiFi problem y510p (Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230)

Hello there everyone,

I am experiencing a strange problem with my y510p. I can properly connect to the internet via wifi, I have sorted out a few config problems which prevented me from connecting, but recently I am getting worried by the network card's behavior. I have recently upgraded to Windows 8.1 (I don't think that's the cause of my issue, but just in case). I noticed that my throughput was, according to Intel's PROSet Wireless WiFi Connection Utility, of about 130 mbps on wireless-n, at about 1 meter away (seriously) from the modem, which is clearly able to do high-speed 802.11n, because the model is kind of new. This modem came from the ISP with two different SSID-s active, and it's able to do 4, so I thought that I could merge the two active networks (set the same SSID and settings on both). Then I set 3 SSID-s active (all identical), then 4, then just 1, and I kept testing this way to see if I could get 270mbps. Not a chance, it stayed at 130. Eventually I found the solution. The system upgrade had set the network adapter settings back to 20mhz only, so I set it back to auto and I started to get 270mbps (intermittent speed) again. But... that didn't sort everything out. I was running an Ookla Speed Test and getting normal speeds when I noticed a slight clicking noise coming from the laptop. And it was absolutely NOT the hard disk. I could hear the hard disk making its usual sounds, and the other noise came from another side of the computer. The noise stopped when the test ended, and I repeated the test to see if I could hear it again. I did. This is the actual cause of my concern, I only included the story about the config because I thought that changing the access point settings so many times in a row, at short intervals of time, while the laptop was connected to the network might have put a little too much stress on the wifi adapter (I know that it sounds a bit ridiculous, but i can't rule that out). I am pretty sure that the wifi card is making those sounds (yes, yes, it's got no moving parts but... I only hear the noise when it is under load). 

Please help,

M B.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,739
Message 2 of 11

Re: WiFi problem y510p (Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230)

hi M B.,

Welcome to the Forums.

That's indeed odd if the clicking noise is comming from the wireless card. One thing that you can try is to re-seat the wireless antenna cables (see page 42 of the hardware maintenance manual).

As for the hard drive, to ensure that it's not the one that's making the clicking noise, try to disable the wireless connection run a diagnostic on the drive (i.e. via HD Tune) or put a load on it (i.e. via CrystalDiskmark) and observe.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

mi_bro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,702
Message 3 of 11

Thanks a lot neokenchi, and I am very glad that I found you online right now. I am gonna try the utilities you suggested now. But there's one question regarding the antenna cable reseating. If i open the laptop, isn't my warranty going to be cancelled? I've bought this machine 4 months ago...

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,662
Message 4 of 11

hi mi_bro,

AFAIK, opening up the compartment cover will not void your warranty as advance users do it to upgrade the RAM, HDD, etc. Having a warranty sticker though on the screw slot(s) is a different story as some stores use this method to protect the unit from being tampered with, thus, voids the warranty.

If you don't have these warranty stickers, I recommend you contact lenovo  to report the issue first and see if it's okay to follow the procedures above (just to be on the safe side). If they ask you to send the unit in for service, I recommend you go for it to ensure warranty coverage of the machine (you can take a picture of the machine before you send it in so you have a proof that the machine wasn't tampered with).

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

mi_bro
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,615
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for the reply!

I can't see any stickers on top of the screws on the back of my machine.

HDTune and Crystal Disk Info say that my hard drive is alright (raw values for 05, c5 and c6 are 0).

I suppose it might just be in perfect working order then... I'll have to put it under load and listen carefully. You said I should use CrystalDiskMark, right?

Also I think I'm going to determine if the harddisk is good first and only afterwards, if the problem is still here, I'll try to talk to Lenovo.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,561
Message 6 of 11

hi mi_bro,

Ideally, running an error scan via HD Tune is essential as it tells whether the HDD is faulty or not.

Alternatively, if you have a::

- Western Digital drive, you can use Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

- Seagate/Samsung drive, you can use Seatools for Windows.

CrystalDiskMark is used to put a stress on the drive which also measures its maximum read/write speed.

Regards

maho666
What's DOS?
Views: 4,332
Message 7 of 11

Hi Guys,

Recently i bought a Lenovo Y510P as well ( without SSD, 2nd Graphic card):

I have been very frustrating time dealing with the **bleep** wireless as well,

I currently have Windows 7 / 64bit (Ultimate) version installed...
Whenever i try to connect my laptop to the internet via wireless it keeps on disconnecting / reconnecting and

if i restart / reset the router from work it works for about 2-3min and then it's all over again,

I have several other pc's and laptops at work connected to the wireless router and not a single problem...
I thought it might have to do with Microsoft Virtual mini-port 2 and 3 that appears in my Netwoork adapters,
So i tried to disable / uninstall them (no luck) they keep on appearing...
i tried re-installing the Wireless card through safe mode ...that didn't help either...
Please, can anyone tell me what the hell am i suppose to do with this **bleep** machine!?
it's been very frustrating to deal with this problems since day 1 ( when i erased windows 8 ) and installed 7.

The problem is i'm not really familiar with 8 and had to use 7 / 64bit.

Thanks....

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,321
Message 8 of 11

Disable Power Management by unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device" in the device manager.

Then disable "802.11n mode" in the "Advanced" tab in the device manager.

Test and see if you still get drops.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
maho666
What's DOS?
Views: 4,312
Message 9 of 11

Turned it off, did not help...
so here is a complete list of what i've tried:
- Disabled Virtual mini-port

- Rolled back driver to the previous version,

- Installed the newest driver for wireless

- unchecked the allow computer to turn this device off to save battery...

It still doesn't help...
My router is TP-LINK model (TL-WR941N)

It's very frustrating, i don't know what to do...

maho666
What's DOS?
Views: 4,296
Message 10 of 11

Hey guys,
after several hours of frustration i guess i found out the main reason for this issue,
I have a TP-LINK model TL-WR941ND set to transmit in B,G & N channels, and i have:
- 3 PC's,
- 3 Laptops
- 6 Phones
Now to try a theory i set the wireless router to only transmit in N channel,
nothing worked but my laptop...
after that i set the router to transmit in G only and now all the computers are connected (including my laptop).
So i guess there's nothing wrong with my laptop but probably router cannot handle different types of transmision in the same time...

So, everything is working just fine now..

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors