cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sekhar
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 864
Message 1 of 3

Will the new NVIDIA Notebook Drivers Void Warranty?

As we all know Nvidia has already released Notebook Drivers (atlast we can have new drivers).

Will this void lenovos warranty ?  Or is lenovo supporting it?

Any topic regarding this in lenovos site?

Retired Guru
Views: 846
Message 2 of 3

Re: Will the new NVIDIA Notebook Drivers Void Warranty?

This is a tough question to answer for the IdeaPad line. Usually with Lenovo, you have a list hardware components which are labeled as FRU [factory replaceable unit] and CRU [customer replaceable unit]. With software it's different. According to Lenovo, installing any kind of 3rd party software is by some means against your warranty. However, you would be glad to hear that many people have gotten warranty service after installing 3rd party software with absolutely no problems.

The general rule for IdeaPads [in my opinion], is to not touch any hardware components. This includes but is not limited to RAM, hard drive, processor, optical drive, wireless card, modem, keyboard, LCD, and motherboard. If it were me, I would go ahead and install the drivers.

**Note: This information is provided as my personal opinion. It does not reflect Lenovo's position on warranties for the IdeaPad line. I do not work for Lenovo or represent the company in any matter.

\\ I do not respond to PM regarding individual tech support. Keep discussions in the forum for the benefit of others //
Retired Guru
Views: 836
Message 3 of 3

Re: Will the new NVIDIA Notebook Drivers Void Warranty?

AFAIK none of installed software ever can break warranty because warranty covers only hardware components.

But it's a complicated situation with NOVO partition - it is not treated as a hardware component, but damaging or deleting it  will not break your warranty but if you want to restore itthe procedure will not be free.

This is how it is in Russia.

I don't really know about USA but it seems like this policy is worldwide for Lenovo.

Why not calling support and asking them???

//help will save the world

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors