cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AllanM
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,657
Message 1 of 10

Win 10 upgrade causing video_tdr_failure (nvlddmkm.sys) BSOD and restart on Z710

Since upgading from win 8.1 to win 10 on Z710 with a Geforce GT745M, I get a video_tdr_failure.

I have researched on nvidia and windows but have not found a solution.

Updated drivers using a clean install to 352.62.

Tried to install the Lenovo driver but is not the current one and upgrade would not happen.

There seems to be a nvlddmkm.sys file in windows system32 folder and a nvlddmkm2.sys in system32/driverstore/repository/nvidia . Both are dated 2015-07-23

Could there be a registry problem?

Thought a clean install would have corrected but no.

Deleted the driver and re-installed clean.

Others seem to have had the same problem.

The nvidia explore tool wanted to install a windows 7/8 version of the driver.

I did find the Win 10 version to install.

Any product google earth, nvidia experience etc that wants to run the nvidia card, BSOD after a random period of time.

If I use the intel card google earth for example works fine.

I did a hardware scan using the Lenovo tools and everything checked out. I can use the Nvidia control panel but not the experience tool.

Has anyone com across a solution?

AllanM
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,582
Message 2 of 10

Re: Win 10 upgrade causing video_tdr_failure (nvlddmkm.sys) BSOD and restart on Z710

New NVida Driver 355.60 Dated Aug13/15 was installed.

BSOD System_ThreadException_Not_Handled (Nvlddmkm.sys) now happens at random times with any program including Geforce Experience using the card.

Still not able to use Nvidia card since Win 10 upgrade.

Guru
Views: 11,569
Message 3 of 10

Re: Win 10 upgrade causing video_tdr_failure (nvlddmkm.sys) BSOD and restart on Z710

Uninstall GeForce Experience.

Try this driver:
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/89127/en-us

Oops. This is also 355.60. I read it as 355.80. Smiley Sad

Choose the Custom Install, check Clean Install. Don't include GeForce Experience at first, and see if works okay.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
AllanM
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,521
Message 4 of 10

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately it has not resolved the error.

Sent NVidia some feedback. Hope it gets read.

AllanM
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,429
Message 5 of 10

I spent more hours trying to resolve.

Down loaded driver 355.60 Win 10 64 bit (355.60-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql)

Uninstalled current driver and software via device manager.

Expanded the driver and ran setup.

Performed a custom install without GF Experience.

Install went through fine and rebooted after removing software.

Came back up and continued install and completed with no errors.

Ran device driver and confirmed driver installed.

Set GoogleEarth to run with graphics processor.

Everything seemed okay.

Set desktop to include in notification tray and Display GPU Activity so I could see that GE was running in processor

Then launched GE with 3 buidings and citties. Ran site seeing tour.

Crashed after a couple of minutes with System_thread_exception_not_handled and rebooted.

When it came back up I turned of to show in notification tray and turned off GPU activity.

Re-Ran GE and it lasted a bit longer and then crashed with the same error

System_thread_exception_not_handled and rebooted.

Would welcome any further help.

Crolegion
Fanfold Paper
Views: 11,423
Message 6 of 10

Hi.I used 353.62 driver and everything worked fine until today i installed latest driver from nvidia and caused me the same problem that is happening to you.After that i reinstalled old driver 353.62 from nvidia and everything was back to normal.use this driver until the compactible new driver is released.hope it helps for you.
kenopp
Paper Tape
Views: 8,114
Message 7 of 10

Found a site with info from from some russian guy. After installing windows 10 the forth time I was determined to find out why this was happening.  Do this and all your games shoud work fine

Go to Nvidia Panel - Then find there 3D apps options. Use the global options and make your NVIDIA card as default graphic processor.
Then change options in the list for most performance, for example...

Ambient Occlusion - Off
Anisotropic filtering - Application controlled
Antialiasing-FXAA - Off
Antialiasing-Mode - Override ay application setting
Antialiasing-Setting - 4x
Antialiasing-Transparency - Off
CUDA-GPUs - All
Maximum pre-rendering frames - 4
Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration - Multiple display performance mode
Power management mode - Adaptive or Prefer maximum performance
Shader Cache - On
Texture filtering-Anisotropic sample opti - On
Texture filtering-Negative LOD bias - Allow
Texture filtering-Quality - High performance
Texture filtering-Trilinear optimization - On
Threaded optimization - Auto
Triple buffering - On
Verticle sync - Use the application setting
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames - 4

AllanM
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,932
Message 8 of 10

Thanks for providing the settings.

I changed my settings to the ones you detailed and it worked for about 30 seconds and BSOD.

The system_thread_exception_not_handled nviddmkm.sys error came up.

This is the error that came up since the release of a newer driver.

I was really hoping your suggestion would resolve the issue.

UPDATE since my last post::

I have contacted Nvidia support and logged a case with them. Over 2.5 months I provided memory dumps, tried their demo movies/games, tried sketchup viewer because of simpler graphics, provided GPU-Z logs, Lenovo hardware check logs.

GPU-Z indicated the card was running the same temps as intel card and similar performance parameters logged between the 2 gpus.

I asked for a debug version of the dll. No.

I asked for a nvidia diagnostic tool to determine if it is driver or the board. They don't have one available. I worked for a hardware company and all have board diagnostics.

I escalated the case but ended up not being escalated.

Basically they said take it to a Lenovo Center and have them look at it.

I gave up. I am using the default Intel graphics and everything is working fine but much slower. Laptop is beyond warranty and I think the graphics card is soldered in.

Nvidia has left me with a bad impression should you have problems with thier products.

kenopp
Paper Tape
Views: 7,916
Message 9 of 10

What intel and nvidia drives do you have installed now?  My system:  Lenovo Z710, Intel integrated graphics  HD Graphics 4600 driver version 20.19.15.4331, nvidia GT 745M driver version 10.18.13.5435.  with the settings in the nvidia control panel exacly as suggetsted in the previous posting. I run games: World of warcraft, Diablo, Borderlands, Borderlands 2, Day of Defeat, Wolfenstien, and War Thunder.   Before the fix NONE of them worked after the fix all work just fine.  Maybe reinstall both intel and nvidia drivers shown here and give it another try?

davor0801
What's DOS?
Views: 6,126
Message 10 of 10

I did this and it worked for a day and then the same thing started to happen...i don't know what to do is there a solution?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors