Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnwrecordjr
Paper Tape
Views: 172
Message 1 of 3

Win 8 getting scared and backing itself up

I received an error code of: 0xc0000225, Windows/Sys32/Winload.efi missing. When i went to the Windows (C) Windows folder to replace the missing file it was all Backed up with the extension .wsi.

I attempted to Restore_Recover_Reinstal the HDD to factory condition. no such luck. I had previously backed up to an external HDD and made a USB recovery drive. All attempts to recover in any fashion including Onekey were futile. how do I restore windows (open the backed up folder to fix the problem). Better yet!  How can I wipe the HDD and restore it to factory condition including the proper number of partitions (not 15). 

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 164
Message 2 of 3

Re: Win 8 getting scared and backing itself up

@johnwrecordjr wrote:

I received an error code of: 0xc0000225, Windows/Sys32/Winload.efi missing. When i went to the Windows (C) Windows folder to replace the missing file it was all Backed up with the extension .wsi.

I attempted to Restore_Recover_Reinstal the HDD to factory condition. no such luck. I had previously backed up to an external HDD and made a USB recovery drive. All attempts to recover in any fashion including Onekey were futile. how do I restore windows (open the backed up folder to fix the problem). Better yet!  How can I wipe the HDD and restore it to factory condition including the proper number of partitions (not 15). 

Just a comment/questions:

1. How did that backup in the first place landed in the Windows folder?

2. Is the extension wsi a windows backup file or Onekey backup files?

3. What happen prior to this?

4. Specifics about the unit in question?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 161
Message 3 of 3

Re: Win 8 getting scared and backing itself up

hi johnwrecordjr,

Welcome to the Forums.

The backup that you created. (.wsi) can only be restored by running OneKey Recovery > Restore from Usert's Backup (depending on your lenovo model, the OneKey Recovery (Novo) button maybe placed in different locations).

- Sample image (OKR button on a Y40/Y50)

- Sample image (OKR button on a Y410p/y510p)

Introduction to Lenovo Onekey Recovery 8.0 for Notebooks

If you're unable to run OneKey Recovery to do Restore from Initial Backup (factory restore) or User's Backup (the .wsi file on your external HDD) then you can try these steps to fix the error:

1, Insert the recovery drive and restart the machine. Once you see the lenovo logo, hit F12 to launch the boot manager then select your flashdrive to boot from the recovery drive. Once you see the Startup and Recovery Options, perform an automatic repair then reboot and observe.

Note:

If you're unable to boot from the recovery, you need to press F2 (instead of F12) to boot into the BIOS then set Secure Boot to Disabled and OS Optimized Defaults to Other OS.

2. If the recovery drive doesn't work, use another PC and follow this guide to download a Windows 8.1 media then follow this guide on how to create a bootable UEFI flashdrive. When finished, follow Step 1 and use the bootable UEFI flashdrive that you created to perform an automatic repair then reboot and observe.

If automatic repair doesn't fix the problem, open a command prompt instead and type these commands:

bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /ScanOs
bootrec /RebuildBcd

When finished, reboot the machine and observe.

More repair options:

Winload.efi missing or corrupt: Fix for Windows 7, 8

3. (Optional) If all of the above steps doesn't work then you may need to wipe the HDD clean and reinstall Windows 8.1. If you have data to backup then you can follow this guide (note that no factory programs will be reinstalled and you will need to manually install all the drivers from the support.lenovo.com website).

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors