Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChairmanMarv
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,693
Message 1 of 16

Windows 10 upgrade fail on Y570

I tried upgrading my lenovo laptop yesterday from Windows 7 to 10 it failed twice with a pop up saying "Drive where windows installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again." Can someone point me in the right direction where to do so?
kdmehta
What's DOS?
Views: 5,423
Message 2 of 16

Re: Windows 10 upgrade fail on Y570

I have same problem with my lenovo y570 when I try to upgrade it to windows 10

eviltoy
What's DOS?
Views: 5,389
Message 3 of 16

you need to run that rapidtool to break the rapiddrive setup then run the update it will install to the SSD 

kdmehta
What's DOS?
Views: 5,361
Message 4 of 16

where I can get Rapidtool?

grh49
What's DOS?
Views: 5,126
Message 5 of 16

I am also having same issue and unable to upgrade to Windows 10.

I go through the steps to complete Windows 10 update and then i only have one option to troubleshoot after Windows 10 upgrade configures and then it mentions my drive is locked. 

I receive an error code of C1900101 when i get back to Windows Update Tool for the Failed Install.

I have tried the RapidDrive Uninstall tool here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds025404#changes but this doesn't seem to do anything.

Any help?

Jelon
Punch Card
Views: 5,003
Message 6 of 16

@ChairmanMarv wrote:
I tried upgrading my lenovo laptop yesterday from Windows 7 to 10 it failed twice with a pop up saying "Drive where windows installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again." Can someone point me in the right direction where to do so?

ChairmanMarv - if you have the darn RapidDrive driver installed forget about upgrading to Windows 10 for now. I think at the moment the only thing that you could do is a clean install of Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 10 but do not install the RapidDrive driver !!!

The thing is when you do a clean install you will loose all of your data! I will write some more information in about an hour when I get back home. I have been fighting with the update for about 10 days now.

Views: 5,001
Message 7 of 16

@grh49 wrote:

I have tried the RapidDrive Uninstall tool here: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds025404#changes but this doesn't seem to do anything.

Any help?

This is the RapidDrive Advanced which is dedicated for a different line of laptops (ThinkPad systems) and has no use for Y series

EDIT:

RapidDriveTool can be found in C:\Drivers\RapidDrive\Tool\RapidDriveTool.exe when you install or at least unpack the RapidDrive driver but it is also non usable.

Views: 4,978
Message 8 of 16

Ok, here we go with some explanations, this might be a long post.

Laptop specification:

Series: Y570

Intel Core i7-2670QM @ 2.20GHz

RAM: 8 GB

256GB Crucial M550 mSATA SSD drive - previously there was a 32GB SSD drive

750 GB WD Scorpio Blue HDD drive

Windows 7 Pro N

RapidDrive driver installed

I have been fighting with Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade for about 10 days now with no luck. In my case the main thing is to keep the data on hard drives and the main problem is the RapidDrive driver.

I know you can do a clean install but this would cause a data loss.

1. When you try to upgrade to Windows 10 with configuration mentioned above or similar you will most probably get an error message during second stage of Win10 installation (1st - copying files goes ok., 2nd - installation of drivers and functions fails, 3rd - never got to it with both drives plugged in). You will most probably get BSOD with error message kernel_security_check_failure. This is caused by the incompatibility of RapidDrive driver with Windows 10 (the same was with Windows 8)

2. In my case with bigger SSD drive I have managed to upgrade to Windows 10 but only partially. During the upgrade process at first reboot I have powered off the computer and taken out the HDD. Started back up and system installed/upgraded on the SSD.

Due to the fact that the system was upgraded, it took over all the drivers from previous instance (Windows 7) together with RapidDrive.

This is now causing two things:

1) When I plug in the HDD, system will boot once and only once normally. Second power on/restart/wake up from hibernation or whatever will cause BSOD with kernel_security_check_failure message

2) Removing the RapidDrive driver files (HybridCFileX64.sys, HybridDiskX64.sys, LhdX64.sys) together with all corresponding registry entries will cause BSOD with inaccessible_boot_device message. This will show up regardless if the HDD is plugged in or not

As from what I have seen and figured out RapidDrive driver modifies the disk/partition size somehow in partition table so the size of the disk is in fact bigger that it really is.

As far as I know, nobody was able to uninstall the RapidDrive driver so far to split the SSD and HDD drives. But maybe someone has some suggestions?

The problem with Y570 with RapidDrive installed, is the driver and since Lenovo has not done anything with it for about 4 years, I believe they have abandoned the solution leaving users with existing problem.

The only hope is either within the users that will be able to find an uninstallation method or with MS that will find a way to upgrade or delete the **bleep** driver.

Views: 4,890
Message 9 of 16

Thanks or the information Jelon. Yeah I like this laptop has worked well for me. But Lenovo's lack of support has been brutal. I hope we can figure out a positive solution soon! 

ChairmanMarv
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,889
Message 10 of 16

Did you do this yourself? Do you have a link by chance?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors