Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oalexis
What's DOS?
Views: 807
Message 1 of 6

Windows 7 64 bit filled up the C partition on Y580

Hi,

I just bought a new y580 with 32 GB SSD and 1TB HDD.  I installed Windows 7 home basic 64 bit and have only installed all the drivers and downloaded the windows updates and the C: partition is already full, and disk management won't allow me to extend it.  Have I done something wrong or is there anyway to fix this?

Here is a pic of my disk management if it helps.

Link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

rbalch
Paper Tape
Views: 793
Message 2 of 6

Re: Windows 7 64 bit filled up the C partition on Y580

check the size of c:\windows\winsxs and see if that is the culprit.  

oalexis
What's DOS?
Views: 782
Message 3 of 6

It is indeed large, something like 6.7 Gb but that is pretty standard for that folder in Win 7.  The odd thing I've noticed is that when I total up the size of each of the 7 or so main folders in the C drive it only comes to about 20 Gb but when I look at the properties of the C drive in general it shows over 28Gb used up.  Not sure where that mystery 8 Gb went to, but I would like to have it back if possible.

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 779
Message 4 of 6

@oalexis wrote:

It is indeed large, something like 6.7 Gb but that is pretty standard for that folder in Win 7.  The odd thing I've noticed is that when I total up the size of each of the 7 or so main folders in the C drive it only comes to about 20 Gb but when I look at the properties of the C drive in general it shows over 28Gb used up.  Not sure where that mystery 8 Gb went to, but I would like to have it back if possible.

Hi

Do a disk defragment of your c drive. After that do a disk cleanup and delete all the files offered by disk cleanup after checking if you need them or not.

After that you might be ableto get free space maybe even below then 20gb.

Regards

Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
oalexis
What's DOS?
Views: 759
Message 5 of 6

Thanks ishaan, I had tried disk cleanup and there was almost nothing there, and disk defrag didn't help either.  I did figure out the problem though, hiberfil.sys and pagefil.sys were massive so I disabled hibernation, and moved pagefile to D:  

I now have an extra 12Gb of space!

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 753
Message 6 of 6

Happy to know your problem got resolved!
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors